General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

need help! bizarre symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Default need help! bizarre symptoms

have a 94 manual, 4 cyl Accord XL

My engine suddenly died and won't start, emergency flashers don't come on. Horn, radio don't work.

Now, even with the key removed from the ignition, when I step on the brake, the oil light and the alternator light go on and the wipers move a little. Same when I try the headlight switch, the window switches, or when the dome light is supposed to go on from opening the doors. Also, when I turn the key to start, nothing happens while I have the clutch depressed, but when I take my foot OFF the clutch, the engine turns over (doesn't catch) opposite of normal function.

Disconnected the battery for a few minutes but still the same after reconnection. Oddly, there was no sparking when I removed cable from positive post and when I reconnected, yet the battery has enough juice to crank the starter as normal.

Anybody ever run into this? What in the world is going on?

Old 08-13-2011, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

That is very strange.

When strange electrical problem start happening, I suspect the wiring especially the grounds.

I would download a 94 shop manual from the Online Shop Manuals link the Common DIY theads on top of the gen tech help forum. The honda-tech link has a download.

I would disconnect the battery and clean all ends of both battery cables.

In that shop manual, it shows the locations of the grounds. I would clean grounds that are easily accessible. G101 that is in the engine bay near the brake master cylinder. The electrical section has them listed under wire harness and ground locations. starts on page 23-14

Old 08-14-2011, 04:08 AM
Default right on the money

You had that 100% correct, PAhonda!

I was worrying about having to replace the brain but my guy said he thought it was a grounding problem, too. I didn't want to get my hopes up too high for a solution less costly than the new ECU, but the thing about no sparks off the positive battery post when I was removing & replacing the cable fit the bad ground idea.

He came over and started checking. One of the two ground cables that comes off the neg post went to a grounding strap that disintegrated when the bolt was unscrewed. We hooked that one to one of the bolts you undo to change the thermostat.

There was more funky grounds over on the alternator side of the engine, too. He fabricated a couple new straps and stuck them in. I'll take a look when it's light out to check the one you described near the master cylinder, though I think it's one of the ones he tightened up.

Thanks, by the way for hipping me to the Online Shop Manuals link (easier than the old days going to the library to xerox pages from the Chilton book!).

JB