General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with my 2000 honda accord

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:58 PM
Default need help with my 2000 honda accord

I have been having a problem with my Accord. I am not sure if anyone can help me but i was referred here by a friend. Please help or point me in the right direction. After driving long distances my accord will just cut out and decelerate causing me to pull off the road and call AAA.
It does not happen all the time... only when diving long distances. The car will loose power and the RPM's will accelerate but I have no power. Then the car will completely loose power when i put it in neutral and have to re start the car coasting down the highway at 70mph. In the last 60 days I have replaced the transmission, O2 sensor, catalytic converter, knock sensor, and the mass air flow sensor was replaced in November. I need some help in diagnosing this problem. Thanks in advance and if this is not the right place to post...please advise.

Thank You!

Last edited by minion27; 06-24-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

This is the right area.

So when you are driving, then put the car in neutral, the car stalls out?

Old 06-24-2011, 10:49 PM

Yes only after the car begins to lose power. I've taken it to multiple places and they all tell me they will have to drive it and I tell them that it only happens on extended trips.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Is this a 4 or 6 cylinder? LX, DX, EX? Automatic transmission? Is this a ULEV car? Put this information in your signature (under user CP options on this forum), so we don't have to ask.

Does the check engine light turn on while driving, or the D4 light start flashing? I would just stop by a parts store like autozone and have them scan the engine computer for codes. Get the actual code number. They start with the letter P and have four numbers, like P1234. Post the code(s) on here.

Also have them test the battery, alternator, and starter while you are there just to rule those items out.

How many miles are on the car?

Also, when were the maintenance items last changed, like the distributor cap, distributor rotor, and spark plugs?

Can you get the car to stall out by shaking the key?

Old 06-25-2011, 12:08 AM

it is the 2.3lv the check engine light does not come on until the car completely stalls at which point all the lights come on as if I had just turned the car over to power it up in a parked mode. As I'm coasting down the freeway at 70 mph, the only way to start the car is to put it in neutral and turn it over a few times before it kicks over. At that point I can put it back in drive and continue to drive. Jiggling the key does nothing.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:12 AM
Super Moderator

Just to be thorough, have the engine codes scanned at a parts store. If some sensor is screwing up, it should have set a code. Its a free service and simple enough to try.

What about the maintenance items I asked about in the last post?

Old 07-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Default My car has the same problem

Hi Minion,
My husband is have the exact problem with his Honda Civic 2002, 4 cylinder manual transmission. The problem only happens when we are doing long distance highway driving. The car will jolt then decelerate. He has to pull over give the car a break then restart it. As long as we don't drive with the air condition and go over 60mph the car is fine. Did you find out what was happening to your car?

Old 07-18-2012, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by afern
Hi Minion,
My husband is have the exact problem with his Honda Civic 2002, 4 cylinder manual transmission. The problem only happens when we are doing long distance highway driving. The car will jolt then decelerate. He has to pull over give the car a break then restart it. As long as we don't drive with the air condition and go over 60mph the car is fine. Did you find out what was happening to your car?
Any Check Engine Light (aka Malfunction Indicator Light) when this happens?

Old 08-08-2012, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by afern
Hi Minion,

My car is doing the exact same thing. As long as I don't run the air conditioner my car will run fine but if I turn it on on a real hot day it will go into this safety mode and it won't go over 3k rpm's. I have to restart it a few times for it to work.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Any Check Engine Light (aka Malfunction Indicator Light) when this happens?

Yes my check engine light comes on.

Quick Reply: need help with my 2000 honda accord