General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need Help with my 94' Accord EX...problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 10:44 PM
Default Need Help with my 94' Accord EX...problems?

hey!! here i go again...

anyways here are my questions/problems:

1.) I see a little bit of water dripping on the exhaust joints(like where the separate pieces of exhuast system meet).. Is this normal??

2.) My Engine kinda fluctuates when I go maintain my speed(mostly at 2-2.5k rpm)...but my rpm and speedometer gauage doesnt fluctuate...my rpm and speed doesnt change...its just you can feel and hear it fluctuating but thats it...and when i step on the gas a little bit more to go a bit faster(accelerating) it disapears..and when i maintain the speed again, it does the problem again...could anyone tell me what d problem is?

3.) I think that my overdrive isnt shifting right....im guessing its supposed to shift firm...but its not...and i have to wait for quite a while for it to shift...i dont know...also i see oil drops under the engine/transmision...(could this be a suspect for my overdrive not shifting firm/properly?)

Old 05-22-2008, 11:06 PM
*90accord*
Unregistered
Default RE: Need Help with my 94' Accord EX...problems?

1.) Normal
2.)could be dirty injector, or time for a tune up.
3.)Low transmission fluid could def cause a problem. More than likely that is what you see leaking. Check your fluids.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:08 PM

thx...so if i want my car to have a tune-up, where would i go?

yea ive checked my fluids and all of them are on the right lvl...

Old 05-27-2008, 12:40 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

1.) Normal out of the tailpipe, not normal at the joints. Could be a leak, usually accompanied with a louder than normal exhaust.

2.) Tune-up is basically a valve lash adjustment. Can you hear the rocker arms and valves ticking at idle?

3.) The differential locks at 65-70 mph, that could be the case. Low/old tranny fluid can cause harsher than normal shifts. Try a drain/refill of 3 quarts (minimum) or 3x drain/refill of 9 quarts of Honda Genuine ATF-Z1. If the Z1 makes things worse, the GM ATF is usually the next step (more expensive).

Old 05-27-2008, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

I'd say the tune-up would be spark plugs & maybe distributor cap, rotor, & wires. The valve lash probably would NOT cause any surging or fluctuation in power output.

How old are the spark plugs? Start the car COLD when it's completely dark. Look for arcing (blue glow) around the distributor or plug wires.

Maybe the fluctuation is the torque converter locking & unlocking. That may be caused by mis-adjusted cable from throttle to tranny. (I think that was still a cable in '94. By '98 that was done electronically.)

Old 05-27-2008, 12:23 PM

I have the EXACT same car you do, same year and leather interior too.

But anyways, our car (the 94 EX) is known to have rough shifts. It's not smooth, almost a jerk everytime it shifts. If your transmission fluid is low it will make this jerking worse.

As for the dripping oil, that means you have a bad gasket or bad seal somewhere, nothing to do with shifting.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:35 PM

oh, and almost forgot. A few years ago I had problems with water in my exhaust....it rusted a fatty hole in it. I jacked up my car to see what the deal was, and saw the hole. I went searching around my buddy's garage and we found an old oven. We took some shears and cut out a section of the side, and welded that bad bit** to my exhaust. Funny 16 year old welds. I replaced my exhaust yesterday and everybody was laughing at my weld-job.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:23 PM

ORIGINAL: finch13

1.) Normal out of the tailpipe, not normal at the joints. Could be a leak, usually accompanied with a louder than normal exhaust.

2.) Tune-up is basically a valve lash adjustment. Can you hear the rocker arms and valves ticking at idle?

3.) The differential locks at 65-70 mph, that could be the case. Low/old tranny fluid can cause harsher than normal shifts. Try a drain/refill of 3 quarts (minimum) or 3x drain/refill of 9 quarts of Honda Genuine ATF-Z1. If the Z1 makes things worse, the GM ATF is usually the next step (more expensive).
1.) what do u mean by a leak??like holes on the pipes? i dont think my exhaust is louder than normal...ill try to upload pics of where i see water droplets when ever i get the chance to jack it up.. maybe tomorrow...

2.) i dont know what a valve lash adjustment is...i dont think i hear the rocker arms and valves ticking at idle(i dont really know what to listen for...LOL)but engine sound seems normal to me....

Old 05-27-2008, 10:30 PM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

I'd say the tune-up would be spark plugs & maybe distributor cap, rotor, & wires. The valve lash probably would NOT cause any surging or fluctuation in power output.

How old are the spark plugs? Start the car COLD when it's completely dark. Look for arcing (blue glow) around the distributor or plug wires.

Maybe the fluctuation is the torque converter locking & unlocking. That may be caused by mis-adjusted cable from throttle to tranny. (I think that was still a cable in '94. By '98 that was done electronically.)
how would i check for the arcing??

i think your on to something on ur last paragraph....bout the torqe converter locking and unlocking...idk but i feel that that might solve my problem....yeah 94' was still cable...so if this is the problem then..what should i do??where should i go??

Old 05-27-2008, 10:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Hobbin

I have the EXACT same car you do, same year and leather interior too.

But anyways, our car (the 94 EX) is known to have rough shifts. It's not smooth, almost a jerk everytime it shifts. If your transmission fluid is low it will make this jerking worse.

As for the dripping oil, that means you have a bad gasket or bad seal somewhere, nothing to do with shifting.
nice...heh..do u also have an auto trans??yeah...im used to the jerk whenever it shifts..its ok tough..its not really that bad....so just a bad gasket or seal??hmmm...can you tell me where i could go to get this checked out and hopefully fix it?

Quick Reply: Need Help with my 94' Accord EX...problems?