General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need help with Transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 05:51 PM
Default Need help with Transmission fluid change

I would like to change my Transmission fluid - for the first time and am following the Haines manual I picked up from Autozone. My car is a 2000 Accord EX.

My only problem is I'm not sure which bolt to take off to drain the trans fluid. The picture in my Haines manual is like a mirror image of what it should look like if I'm looking up from underneath my car.

** First, is this picture my auto transmission - secondly, do I have the proper bolt pointed out - as the drain plug ** . I'm about 70 % sure that I have the drain plug identified - I'd like to be 100 % sure.

Here's 2 photos I took ( of the same part ) - and I've marked the bolt I think is the one I need to remove to change my trans fluid. I'd like to get a confirmation before I unscrew the bolt - don't want to cause any damage.

TransmissionFluidChange1.jpg?t=1253918689

TransmisssionFluid2.jpg?t=1253918734

Also, there is some rust on the bolts - do I need to replace them - or is it just surface rust that I don't have any need to worry about - just unbolt - drain - and put the bolt back into the tranny - and refill with fluid.

Thanks

Old 09-25-2009, 08:14 PM
Administrator
Exclamation Hi Member

Im pretty sure but dont quote me ...that the bigger bolt is the one...loosen it up and stick your finger there and smell if its trans fluid...

WheelBrokerAng

Old 09-25-2009, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by WheelBrokerAng
Im pretty sure but dont quote me ...that the bigger bolt is the one...loosen it up and stick your finger there and smell if its trans fluid...

WheelBrokerAng
So the Fluid plug will be bigger than the rest of the Transmission bolts? If so, that'll help narrow it down clearly for me. I can bring a couple sockets under the car - to narrow it down.

I want to change my fluids either Monday - or sometime this weekend - so I'll see if others weigh in. If not, I'll follow what you suggest.

BTW - what's Transmission fluid smell like?

Thanks for the reply.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:54 AM

On my 96 the bolt is located behind the passanger side wheel on the side of the tranny. its not a regular bolt it has a square groove to fit a socket wrench head.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by F22ovaH22
On my 96 the bolt is located behind the passanger side wheel on the side of the tranny. its not a regular bolt it has a square groove to fit a socket wrench head.
Thanks,

That answered my question - I jacked up the car and checked out the bolt - and I've got it identified now. Mine has a square hole in it too - my socket wrench fits in there just fine.

It's been a while since my Trans fluid was changed. Would you recommend a new washer - or should I just keep using the one that's on there now.

I'm new to this DIY auto servicing - but it's kind been fun so far, Right now, just done the oil - and will be doing the trans fluid in the next day or two. Over the next few weeks - I'll be doing all the routine maintenances and replacing fluids whereever I can.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:30 PM

I hope you are using general honda ATF fluid, its the best way to go. Also i would not recommend using the same washer as it may cause leaks.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by F22ovaH22
I hope you are using general honda ATF fluid, its the best way to go. Also i would not recommend using the same washer as it may cause leaks.
I picked up some Transmission fluid from Autozone. They had some foreign car blend that's made for Hondas, Toyotas, etc.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:48 PM

I used the one from the dealership but im not sure about those. They used That stuff on my car and after like 10k miles it wouldn't shift right. Like it would shift hard.