General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need info changing cam and crank seals

Old 10-28-2011, 07:39 AM
Default Need info changing cam and crank seals

I have a '95 Accord 2.2 Vtec auto. I have a loud whine even after I pulled the external belts, and valve cover. I guess it's safe to say I have a Tensioner Pulley bad? Oreillys called it a Tensioner Puller and it's $56. There's some oil spatter behind the cover so I'll do cam and crank seals to help this. The belts new a few thousand ago from what PO said it broke on him. Should I believe this? I'm in there already but fixing it right in way of sound and oil leaking I'm at $80. Napa has a kit at $125 but that's not cam and crank seals I'm sure but they were $8 a piece. Belt appears pretty new but what's a belt cost? Also the inner cover is melted and rubbing the cam pulley, would this be known to cause a loud whine?

Old 10-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Moved to correct forum.

You can remove upper and lower timing belt covers, reinstall crankshaft pulley, and start engine to identify is sound is from timing belt tensiioner idler bearing.

Suggest and inspecting seals. Replace only those leaking.

Also there is an oring seal beneath the rear timing belt cover that is notorious for oil leakgage. It is an easy replacement when timing belt work is done.

There are good TB kits readily avialable. Check rockauto.com and ebay. You can find both OEM and aftermarket. I've used aftermarket w/o problems but others have reported problems.

Read all the TB repair info in DIY forum.

Finally check youtube for some good videos of TB job.

good luck

Old 10-28-2011, 03:45 PM

Well one of the bolts in the upper cover is just turning and won't loosen(one behind the oil dip stick). I can see oil in the cover but it appears to be slinging up from below. I would rather get the kit local and not have to wait for it. I like to fix problems asap and because I drive the car I want it fixed this weekend.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:28 PM

Do you know the age of the water pump? I have heard of several people who just changed the timing belt, getting ready for a sale, and did not change anything else (seals, tensioners, pump).

Roy

Old 10-28-2011, 05:42 PM

I'll get the waterpump too and do it this weekend unless the pumps $100 or more. If higher I'll wait a while and fix it all next weekend.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:47 PM

Plans are fix it all behind the cover and do it right the first time. I don't cut corners. If the waterpump needs done while I'm in the area I'll get one. I'm new at these Honda sideways engines.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

For the TB cover retaining bolt that rotates and does not loosen, you may have to grind the head off w/ a dremel to allow removal. Simply leave that bolt out when replacing. There are enough bolts w/ one missing to hold securely in place.

The nut is a blind nut that has grips to hold it in place. These have twisted out allowing the nut to rotate. To fully repair would require removing the rear TB cover,... a lot of work.

good luck.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:51 PM

Well, I'm getting the O-ring seal, and pulley, if I see anything else I'll head to town to buy it but no need on buying it all just because. May only be the O-ring seal leaking and the crank and cam seal are ok.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator

There is a video on doing a honda accord timing belt on a 94-97 2.2L engine from ericthecarguy.com site for around $10. The video goes through each step to replace the timing belt and water pump.

There is a pivot on one of the tension pulleys that you want to install properly or you can end up with some noise. TexasHonda posted about this in the DIY section.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:58 AM

Anyone know the sound this pulley makes if installed wrong? Mine also sounds like a tight belt. I'm going to pull the lower cover and see what I have. Also, say the pulleys has worn bearings, any sure way to know without tearing it all down to find out it's all new?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need info changing cam and crank seals