General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a Little Help With 2005 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Default Need a Little Help With 2005 Accord

I have 2005 Accord, 4 cylinder, 4 door, EX. I am having a few problems, and hope someone can point me in the right direction.

The first problem started about a year ago. The drivers side window would not work some of the time. Took it to the dealer because it still had extended warranty on it, and of coarse it wouldn't do it when they had the car, so they would not do anything to repair it. It finally totally quit after the warranty ran out. I replaced the regulator and the window works, and I tried to program the master switch with direction I found on line. The power up and down now works when it wants to, and when the auto up works it will moved to the closed position, and it will continue to make a clicking noise like it keeps trying to close.

The most recent problem that I have been having is, when I go to start the car it will sometimes start good, and other times it will labor like the battery has a bad cell. I had Advance Auto test the starter, alternator, and battery. They found that the battery was down a little on cold cranking amps, and recommended replacing it. I replaced the battery. A couple of days later it wouldn't start, and I kept trying and it finally started. So I took it the the parts store and had them test the system again, and everything checked out good. All of the cables are in good shape, and the connections are clean and corrosion free. I was thinking that I got a bad battery, or something was drawing it down when it sits, but it did it to me after driving it to a store and when I came out it wouldn't start. I hooked up jumper cables and it still wouldn't start. I am now stumped and do not know where to look.

The third problem is the power lock on the passenger side door does not unlock. The dealer repaired this under warranty about a year and a half ago, but I do not know what they did to repair it. I have to pull up on the **** from the inside to unlock it and it pulls up hard. It locks with the key fob, but will not unlock.

Any help with this would be very appreciated. I have some other problems with the car, but these are the my biggest concerns.

Thanks,
Dennis

Old 12-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Problem #1: The window run channel may need to be cleaned and lubed. Clean the run channel with some rubbing alcohol and then use some silicone based lubricant. The run channel is that rubber seal where the glass goes up and contacts with, you can google window run channel if you still need to know what I am referring to.

Your car has the anti-pinch power windows. The power window motor incorporates a pulser which generates pulses during the motor's operation and sends pulses to the power window control unit. As soon as the power window control unit detects no pulses from the pulser, the power window control unit makes the power window motor stop and reverse. This is to prevent pinching your hand or fingers during auto-up operation.

Problem #2: Possible starter problem.

Problem #3: Possible door latch, latch rod, or even actuator problem (an actuator is essentially a motor with gears). Would have to remove door panel and see how it moves when trying to lock and unlock and possibly testing actuator motor.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

first problem: somethings wonky with the window motor/regulator, have to pull the panel and inspect.
second problem: replace starter
third problem: dealer eff'd up the door lock actuator install

Old 12-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Dr. Drivability
first problem: somethings wonky with the window motor/regulator, have to pull the panel and inspect.
second problem: replace starter
third problem: dealer eff'd up the door lock actuator install

"Dr"....nice to see you around again....hope things have been well for you and family.

OP - Sorry for this, just checking in on a member.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by poorman212
"Dr"....nice to see you around again....hope things have been well for you and family.

OP - Sorry for this, just checking in on a member.
Yes, it's good having the Dr. in the house.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:29 AM

I was thinking that the regulator had something wrong with it from the time I put it in. This is my first attempt at window regulators. It seems like a pretty straight forward install. My biggest concern is that something is going on with the master switch. I do not believe that it is the run channel because the window does not apear to have any bind to it at all.

What in the starter causes what I described? Brushes? Copper contacts?

Does that mean that I am looking at another actuator, or does it have an adjustment?

Thanks for the information it will be very helpfull.

Last edited by dirtracer138; 12-06-2012 at 05:34 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:42 AM

I too have a 05 coupe. I constantly hear a clicking and sometimes the window won;t work but if I wait a moment it will. Annoying but it is what it is.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Yes, it's good having the Dr. in the house.
thanks gentlemen

Old 12-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by fvansan
I too have a 05 coupe. I constantly hear a clicking and sometimes the window won;t work but if I wait a moment it will. Annoying but it is what it is.
Sounds like a "gear" might be bad....missing tooth on the motor or regulator? Inspection would be needed.