General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

In need of new instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 08:01 PM
Default In need of new instrument cluster

Apologies if this is a duplicate post. I ran across an old post in the "Appearance" topic about doing an instrument cluster LED conversion. I seem to have burned up my gauge cluster in the process, so now I'm in the market for one. Anyone know where I might find one, other than going through a dealership? Also, is the car's mileage stored within the cluster, or elsewhere in the car's computer? I'm not sure what my exact mileage was. I'm wondering if I'll need a dealer or authorized shop to reprogram the odometer?

My car is a US-built (VIN starts with 1) 2002 Accord EX, 4-door, manual transmission, manual climate controls, cloth seats, no traction control, if that helps any. (I can provide other specifics as needed, too.)

Thanks!

Old 01-31-2015, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Hello member..this will take a bit of research , so check back every so often and let us know what you have found..Anyone that can help this member, feel free to do so.

WheelBrokerAng

Old 01-31-2015, 10:06 PM

Thanks! What I've learned so far is that, like most cars with a digital odometer, the mileage is stored on an EEPROM chip on the circuit board within the gauge cluster. Some cars also store a copy of it somewhere else; not sure about mine. In any case, I found the part I need online, but then it'll be a matter of having it reprogrammed somewhere.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:45 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Years ago I had a 94 Accord, and the speedometer stopped working. After some troubleshooting I ended up replacing the instrument cluster with one I found on Ebay. Luckily the one I bought had miles on it that were very close to my original, so no problem. Good luck!

Old 02-02-2015, 05:26 AM

I would contact East Park Auto recycling in NY. They are a Honda and Acura salvage yard and are extremely knowledgable and should be able to help you. Their shipping costs are good. I usually turn to them when looking for gauge clusters.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:22 PM

Sorry I didn't reply again on this sooner. I don't need a new instrument cluster after all. Yay! The day after I posted, I decided to try mine out and see what happens. I put the bulbs back in and hooked it up... no smoke. Everything seemed to work.

Well, almost everything: I think I may have somehow burned out the fuel warning indicator. Since I had wanted to replace everything with LEDs, I left the original incandescent bulb in for the fuel warning light, and drove the car until the needle was in E... no indicator light. I finally fueled it, and it took almost 16 gallons. This car has a 17-gallon take, and the fuel light is supposed to go on when there's about 2.2 gallons left. Since I had barely over 1 gallon, I've drawn the conclusion that I must have blown the fuel light. Not a big deal; I normally never let the car go below 1/4 tank anyway.

My LED conversion is progressing, though that's in a different thread.