General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need part name/number for 97 accord - Cooling system...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 08:17 PM
nicolaselias
Unregistered
Default Need part name/number for 97 accord - Cooling system...

Hi, I own a 1997 Honda Accord (cd5 chasis)

Up until last year, when I took off the engine after a long drive, the cooling fan stayed on to help the engine to cool down quicker, however this has stopped happening.. Do any of you know what part I would need to replace for this to work again? Also do you know anything about the procedure for doing this?

Thank you

Old 03-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Need part name/number for 97 accord - Cooling system...

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

ORIGINAL: drummer1279

the cooling fans shouldnt run when the car is turned off at all, so you have either a sensor, relay, or some other electrical issue dealing with your cooling fans
wrong my friend..........if underhood temp reaches over 223 F ,, the fan will come on ... that's what the switch at the end of the top radiator hose is there for among with

when temp reaches 223 the switch will close , sending a signal tp the radiat fan control module,, which in turn energizes the relay so main cooing fan will come on

assuming everything on the sytem works ok,,

but it is really no big deal if fan does not come on after engine is off.. AS long as BOTH fans come on when engine is running to keep engine from overheating
Do both fans come on when the car is running? If they do, but don't stay on when the ignition is on I would check the switch mentioned above.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:47 PM
nicolaselias
Unregistered

Hi thanks for the reply.. the cooling system works 100% fine when the car is on
I just remembered that the car used to do this, and abruptly stopped doing so...

I assumed it was the cool down the engine as fast as possible because im here in fl and it gets pretty hot under there

thanks

Old 03-23-2008, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

When the cooling fans run on a hot engine after the key is shut off; the controlling switch is temp switch B. That switch is in line with the top raditor hose where the hose nipple comes off the head.
the after shut down cooling is not an ALWAYS situation.
Ithink the switch closes the circuit at 195 degrees.
To prove the system is working you can unplug the switch connector and put a jumper wire across the wire connectors and the fans should run.
To test the switch, suspend it in a pan of near to boiling water, and check for continuity across the switch terminals.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:22 AM
nicolaselias
Unregistered

would any of these happen to be the correct part im looking for?
thanks
http://catalog.autohausaz.com/autoha...20Fan%20Switch

Old 03-24-2008, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The A-106 part is the switch you need (diagnostic may save some money since it could be something else, bad wiring, bad connector, unplugged connector). The 106 is the switch On temp in degrees Centigrade.

good luck