General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need real Honda help

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 10:02 PM
williamgri
Unregistered
Default Need real Honda help

Driving down the highway engine starts losing power. Put pedal to floor to go 50 mph. Push clutch in and can't get engine to rev past 3-4,000 rpm. Checkedfuel pressure, coil, replaced plugs, air cleaner, fuel filters. checked choke - worked perfect. Checked timing, Replace dist. cap and button. Plug wires are fairly new. Someone has seen this before (have seen in other forums) but no one has answered problem. One recommendation was to check fuel pressure while driving? How do you safely do that? Anybody with some intelligent suggestions?

Old 02-23-2007, 10:15 PM
giffin
Unregistered
Default RE: Need real Honda help

check on blockage in the cat convertor-not familiar w/ honda type but have seen gm ones do this.just unbolt(perhaps) the exhaust pipe in front of the cat and wire it up use caution and common sense but it might help diagnose or ask your mech. if this is even a possability. hope this helps

Old 02-23-2007, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

What model Accord do you have? Suggest adding to your signature line. I assume a late 80's w/ carb since you refer to a choke which went the way of dodo in 1990 for Accords.

A bad fuel accelerator pump will make a carbuerator vehicle run terrible, engine will struggle to accelerate or die when throttle is applied. Does car accerate OK, if throttle is applied verrrry slowly? If yes, then accelerator pump seems a likely possibility.

Another possibilty is trash in carb partially blocking a main jet and restricting fuel flow. Float level problems can also cause this problem. Carb rebuild may be in order.

good luck

Old 02-24-2007, 12:17 AM
williamgri
Unregistered

Sorry, 1988 DX. I went to local parts store and got carb cleaner and sprayed in fuel line right at carb while spinning motor. Trying to fill bowl with cleaner and saturate internals. Hadn't thought about clogged convertor. Good idea. Another forum someone had similar problem and someone said to check flapper on air breather. I took mine off and was very difficult to move. Hard to beleive vacuum would open it. They were saying in colder weather this being stuck would not allow warm air from exhaust in breather and would actually cause icing in carb. Souns a little far fetched to me, I thought all it did was to assist in warming up vehicle. But I'm no mechanic. Did not mention anything in Haynes about this. Thanks for any advice everyone gives. Forums like this really provide a great service to people, everyone sharing ideas. In the old days a neighbor or friend was only help. Now the world can be of help. Thanks!

Old 02-24-2007, 04:41 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: williamgri

Another forum someone had similar problem and someone said to check flapper on air breather. I took mine off and was very difficult to move. Hard to beleive vacuum would open it. They were saying in colder weather this being stuck would not allow warm air from exhaust in breather and would actually cause icing in carb. Souns a little far fetched to me, I thought all it did was to assist in warming up vehicle. But I'm no mechanic. Did not mention anything in Haynes about this.
first off input year and model in your signature,,,,

secondly you are right YOU ARE NO MECHANIC so when someone mentioned that it could be the air cleaner hot/cold air door not working it would sound far fatchet to you since you do not have a clue of what it does and how it works..and yes vacc does open that and keep it open ,,, But that's what it sounds to me that the problem is,, I have adviced it at other forums as well because i have seen it many times and fixed it,,
also those HAYNES manual suck big time ..and even the HELM manual does not mention that , it is a problem that you will come across, diagnose and solve with years of experience and seeing it happen ...
Now i am not saying that thta's your problem but i would definatelly chk it out..
start the car up and let it warm up, there should be vacc at the diaphram at air cleaner so it can pull up the door and allow warm air to go into the carb . remove the intake tube and see if the door is up allowing warm air in,, IF NOT first chk for vacc at diaphram, also chk to make sure diaphram is holding vacc .. if door stays down only cold air will go in and while driving in the hwy especially in cold weather it will cause what US TECHS call carb icing ,, it will make car lose power ..

if door stays down, fix it and test drive the car ,, if door stays up then that is not the problem

Old 02-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Just as the boiling point is lowered at higher altitudes, the freezing point is higher when the air enters the venturi of the carb and the pressure changes.
In the part of the countryI live we used to see iced carbs any time the temp was below 39 degrees and there was enough humidity.
Also that carb is a 'wet base', it uses coolant temp to warm up the carb body, so low coolant levelcan have an effect, as well.