General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to turn the car off with it in gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 10:42 PM
meb9796
Unregistered
Default Need to turn the car off with it in gear

I've got a 2006 LX, 4D, automatic. I just had a pioneer Z1 stereo installed and I need to remove the HDD from the unit to upgrade it. The only way to gain access to the HDD is to open the front screen and power off the unit. Only I can't open the front screen unless the car is NOT IN PARK since it will hit the gear shift. I know I could probably pop the entire unit out again and do it sitting in my seat, but it's a huge pain to remove so wanted to try something easier.

Would it be possible to disconnect the battery with it in Drive? Would it be ok, when I reconnected the battery?

Thanks.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:31 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

There should be a cover over a hole in the shifter trim you can pop off can stick your key in to shift the transmission while it is in park.

You could also take the shift **** off, but that might not give you enough room. I remember having this same problem when I had an automatic

Old 07-12-2009, 07:35 AM
meb9796
Unregistered

Removing the shift ****? never thought of that, but it might be just enough room.

Will the method with the key in the hole next to the gear shift work with another key in the ignition? I realize this sounds stupid, but I need power to the vehicle so I can open the nav unit, then power the unit down while it's open, so I access the face of the stereo behind the screen that is now laying flat. And the screen will not lay flat with the vehicle in drive.

thanks!!

Old 07-12-2009, 07:52 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Why not just have the car running and shift into gear and hold the brake?

It should work with two keys though... I think if you just have the one key turned to II/ON it will allow you to shift the transmission...

Old 07-12-2009, 11:25 AM
meb9796
Unregistered

The two keys worked perfectly!!

I tried to just shift it into Drive and then turn the power off, but you can't turn the power all the way off unless it's in drive. Anyway, this worked like a champ, thanks!!