General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need your opinions on my problem guys..

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 02:50 PM
Default Need your opinions on my problem guys..

anyway...i was driving yesterday(monday morning) going to school and then suddenly the car stalled..i lost power and pulled over..

i looked at my dash and my CEL is on and D4 light is flashing continuously..and i tried to start the car but it wont start...it is trying to start like i mean the thing is rotating but it wont fire up..

so i had it towed to midas...they diagnosed it and they said it was somthing inside the distributor..i think it was the ignition control module or somthing forgot what exactly it is...

unfortunately i wasnt able to diagnose or get the code myself when i stalled cuz i didnt have tools with me..

so anyway guys i need your opinions on my problem..like could the thing that got shot caused the problem??what could cause these kind of problems(i know emply fuel is one..LOL but what else)..

i've already waited yesterday at the shop and i thought i could get my car by then but they ordered a distributor that isnt vtec(aparently the guy on the other phone didnt hear the person in midas said vtec engine..).. and then i was w8ting again today wondering if they got the right part and they gave me a call today and said they got the part but it was defective and so cant get it till tomorrow...so i have to wait again for tomorrow wondering if i can get my car by then..

i mean is it really true that they got a defective part or they just couldn't fix the problem with that??maybe its not the inside of the distributor thing..???

sucks cuz yesterday was my first day of school and that happens...missed my 1st class..(had to call mom to pick me up and drive me to school..)

Old 08-26-2008, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Need your opinions on my problem guys..

you really would need to tell us the code that was stored.

It is likely the ignition control module or the ignition coil. If that is the case, then the distributor does not need to be replaced. You could buy the part and easily install it.

The distributor is different between an EX vs the LX/DX.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Carry a paper clip and cheapo test light in the glove box, then you can jumper the service connector and check for codes; AND you canleave the key on and test for power on the BLACK /yellow wire at the distributor when it stalls.

I'm in for when it stalls again next week.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:00 AM

well i know i could have diagnosed/get the code but lol i didnt have any paperclip or wire on the car...

btw when that happened to me, i think i smelled like somthing burned or shorted i guess...im gonna call them today and see if they've already fixed it...

Old 08-27-2008, 04:13 PM

*update*

i just got my car back...the problem was that my ECM was shot..so those distributors that they installed b4 they replaced the ECM got replaced got shot too..i suspected the ECM too when my car stalled..cuz i smelled somthing...and surely when i saw my ECM, thats the same smell that i smelled when the car stalled...

one question tho...any of you guys know what could have caused this short in the ECU??