General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

needing help with multiplex control unit

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 11:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Smile needing help with multiplex control unit

ok so iave done my research and done my testing and have questions now. I am working on a 1998 honda accord 4 door ex model with a 2.3L v-tec with a 5MT. I bought this car for $400 dollars with it missing a front bumper only at first it had a no start issue after the guy previous to me did all kinda of i have no clue. After switching the spark wires to the correct plugs and relized that I had a blank key with no chip and got the brake code and code for the factory cd player the car started up ran rough but cleared up. Now I have noticed some things regurading lighting. All of the following list is inop tailights, doom light, driver only curtasy light, dash lights, and front parking lights, DRL lights. First all fuses are good and all relays are good. All wiring from block to anywires is good through both sides of car. combo switch test good for every partially good on continuity test, have haynes manuel for that test....... Now is the intergration of the combo switch so important in that it will cause blinkers and parking lights to be inop only head lights come on. Second does anyone know of how to put the multiplex into self diognostic mode 1 or 2 on this vehicle. I have found how to on acura but nothing on honda. I plan to replace the combo switch but would like to know iam not thinking it will fix parking light issues.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

On the 98 I think there is a "wake up" you can try....mainly for the locks and window but worth a try......... With the car off, set the wiper delay to the middle setting, turn the key to on (not running, just to on) for ~10 seconds.

From there can you confirm a few things.... this is a Canada model (DRL) and does have the auto off feature?

Old 02-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Newest Of Newbies

mmmm not sure if its a canada model or not or if it has drl lights how would i check that

Old 02-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Thatguy931
All of the following list is inop tailights, doom light, driver only curtasy light, dash lights, and front parking lights, DRL lights. .
I was going with what you said? I went with Canada as the manual I have (suspect) only lists DRL on the Canadian models. What is the 12th digit in the VIN? 8=Canada, 0= USA

Old 02-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ok i will find out if it has the auto off feature are refering to the 12th digit from left to right or right to left just to clarify

Old 02-21-2012, 02:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Cool

ok so i looked and it is a usa model with 0 as the 12th vin digit i do have a hynes manuel and when looking at the manuel for exterior lighting for tail lights it has two alternet begining for the wire diagram a dx and lx both go straight to the combo switch for lighting where the ex which i have goes to a relay for taillights then to the lights that relay is switch via the driver side multiplex which gets its signal to turn on from the combo switch i recently had the dash completly out and found two relays grey in color under the vin area of the dash but no wires match anycolors in reference to the manuel both relays are 5 prong and havnt had the chance to do any more testign to see if this relays have power or anything I do have the dash completly back in and all grounds and connectors re hooked up a secure i did notice though something strange but proves that the tailights and dash run of the same circuit. I used a power probe and supplyed voltage to a light on the dash which dimmed radio and odometer and light up the tailights. Also discovered that the diode on the back of the combo switch was bad and replaced it now my turnsignals work but no dome light yet which side of the car does its wires go up driver or passenger/

Old 02-21-2012, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

I'm confused....are the light issues now resolved except for the dome light.

The two realys sound like the "moonroof" relays....hoping you have one and this pic is about right for their location.

Attached Thumbnails needing help with multiplex control unit-6th-gen-dash-realys.jpg  
Old 02-21-2012, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

And to add, the manual I have shows the harness for the dome light going up the drivers side....and I've got the wire diagram as well.

Attached Thumbnails needing help with multiplex control unit-6th-gen-roof-harn.jpg  
Old 02-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Newest Of Newbies

All of the following list is inop -tailights, doom light, driver only curtasy light, dash lights, and front parking lights WHEN .... wth a power probe dash lights are supplyed with power ( external source) the dash odometer dims and radio does proper fuction for truning running lights on ( buttion lights come on and display dimms)
ok two relays way under dash match colors for moon roof relays

Old 02-21-2012, 08:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

If you want i would be happy to give you my email for any diagrams you may have that will help

Quick Reply: needing help with multiplex control unit