General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 07 Accord SE V6 w/ VERY low gas mileage (10mpg)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 02:17 PM
seany
Unregistered
Default New 07 Accord SE V6 w/ VERY low gas mileage (10mpg)

Hello, my first post...

I recently got a new 2007 Accord SE V6. I was gonna go with 4 cylinder in either 07 Camry or 07 Accord as a milk-run-mobile BUT when I test drove both C***** & Accord in 4 cylinder, there was no doubt in my mind that I want Accord. She's much more responsive and fun to drive than C******.

but then again they had a Honda Fincial special (lease) for both 4 cylinder and V6 for the same money (down & monthly) so my choice was V6 of course.

I'm used to my wife's mini van so it was weird to drive this small car with much more responsiveness. I thought my wife's mini van had a problem with the brake (compared to Accord). Sill me....

Anyway, there was one thing with Accord though, on gas mileage. The sticker says 17.1 gallon tank with 21 mpg city/29 mpg highway. I know it's normally a few miles less that what the sticker says for normal drivers in everyday driving but I'm getting more like 10 mpg city. I have under 500 miles now.
I figure 1/2 of tank is about 8.5 gallons and I get about 90 miles. Other factors up here (Northern NJ) would be cold weather (20-40), traffic, short driving (1-2 miles at a time mostly) & I've been somewhat agressive with accelaration (hey, i CAN burn rubber with this car, sometimes) but 10 MPG?????
My wife's Sienna (AWD) gets about 13-14 mpg!!!!

Is that normal? I just filled up the tank and taking it real easy this time with the acceration to see how much the gas mileage increases but still... 20 vs 10 mpg.

Another thing is my rear door windows. Everytime I open and close, they make weird (crackling) noise. I took the door panel off but it still was making the same noise. I didn't take the insulator off since they looked glued. Windows seems clean with no scratches.

Hmmm..... Now I see that I should have posted this under different thread. Sowee..... plz forgive the newbie.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:18 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: New 2007 Accord SE V6 but low gas mileage

gas mileage on my I4 sucks. Maybe I can scratch out high 20s with all fwy. EPA estimates are notoriously bad.

As for your rear door windows, go to the dealer.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:18 PM
seany
Unregistered

do you have 4 or 6 cylinder and how low is your gas mileage (city)? it can't be in low 10's, is it?

i am planning it take to the dealer for the rear window noise. i was just wondering if other have this noise.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:29 PM

4cyl. Its low 20s if its all city, maybe pushnig 30 if its all hwy. If mine were that low, I'd take it in too.

On a side note, my parents have an 05 Seinna XLE AWD, and they were surprised at how poor th efuel economy is on that vehicle as well.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:09 AM

You can't guess at what's remaining in the tank to estimate mileage. You must fill the tank and divide the miles driven by the number of gallons used. Also a car with less than 5000 miles or so is still breaking in and gets the worst MPG it will ever get. Ten MPG isn't realistic.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:37 PM
seany
Unregistered

i recall filling the tank with 10.5 gallons last week with regular grade gasoline (normally i get premium) and had little over 100 miles. so yeah, i did get that unrealistic 10mpg... but i've been burning rubber (for fraction of a second at start) often & harsh accelaration and cornering, stop N go traffic for mostly 1-2 mile drive to work then back home.
does it make much difference to use premium grade vs regular gasoline?

i've been very very gentle since the last fill-up to see what that changes in gas mileage. i'm sure the gas attendant over filled the tank but now my fuel gauge is just below the top full notch and have 20 miles.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:43 PM

Premium is a waste of $, unless its recommended but the mfgr. If your car is designed to run on 87, anything else is unnecessary.

Obviously driving style can impact it quite a bit, but in all honesty, when I beat the hell out of my M3, I'll still get 15-16.

Here is what you need to do to truly check this, and RTexasF already touched on it: Fil lthe tank completely. I mean top it off till you can either see the gas or hear it coming up the narrow pipe. Drive the car till the light comes on, and the repeat the top off process. Then, simple division will give you your MPG. Anything else is just guesswork, cause gas gages are not that reliable, except when they are on E or F.