General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New 99 Accord EX owner need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 10:02 PM
tim003
Unregistered
Default New 99 Accord EX owner need help!!!

Hi everybody,

I just bought a 99 Accord EX sedan with 4 cylinders. The car did not come with the key FOB for the security system, so I went ahead bought one from the savage yard, and reprogrammed it to work with my car. Anyways the fob would lock all the doors and set the alarm but would not unlock the doors even though I can see the parking lights blink twice when hit UNLOCK icon. The fob would open the trunk with no problem, so I dont think there is no problem with the fob or the door's actuators because I can still use the key and the LOCK AND UNLOCK switch inside the car to unlock or lock all my doors. Also I use the key to unlock the driver's door then press the UNLOCK icon on the fob twice then the other 3 doors would unlock.

Well, I spent all day today to research online and did everything that several people recommended like turn INTERMITTEN WIPER to the middle then turn the car on to reset the MULTIPLEX CONTROL, but still have no luck. I took the driver door apart and did not see anything unusual or unplugged, but at the end I noticed the VIN# on my door is different from the one on the chassis, I ran the VIN through Carfax and it showed it is a 98 Acccord LX, so basically the previous owner for somehow replaced his driver door with the LX model.

Now my question is How to make the "new" FOB unlock the LX door on my EX? Any help would greatly appreciate.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Looking at a 94 Accord manual, the security module has to issue Lock or Unlock commands (swapping power/ground) to the wiring to all doors. On the 94 Accord, the unlock function unlocks all 4 doors when keyswitch is held in unlock position. I would try to trace the commands from security module to the power door lock wires (Wht/Red on 94). I'm speculating here, because the 94 manual does not supply security system wiring diagrams.

If you're really determined to fix, look for a 1998-2002 shop manual. Check Online Manuals links in DIY section.

good luck

Old 07-27-2009, 11:55 AM

The problem is probably the LX door. I know my LX does not have a key fob, so I am sure many others (if not all LX's) didn't. I imagine the LX door is not compatible with the key fob. You will probably have to add something to that door in order to get it to work. ideally, you could find an EX door and rip it apart to look at the guts and see if it is different. I bet it is.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

When I had a '98 I didn't have to deal with this so my memory is kinda vague. But I think the EX had multiplexers to handle stuff like windows & locks, while the LX & DX didn't have that. Maybe the LX doesn't have remote locks, & the smarts for the locks are located in the driver's door??

Old 07-27-2009, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I think the EX had multiplexers to handle stuff like windows & locks, while the LX & DX didn't have that. Maybe the LX doesn't have remote locks, & the smarts for the locks are located in the driver's door??
That explanation makes the most sense to me.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:37 PM
tim003
Unregistered

Thanks for all the replies, I am looking to replace the LX power window switch to the EX one and hopefully it will solve the problem.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

I think the multiplexer is an additional unit somewhere in the door; it's not just the window switch assembly.