General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inherited my fathers 05 V6 EX need help- new honda owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 04:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Inherited my fathers 05 V6 EX need help- new honda owner

Hi all, so long story short, is my father passed away in January and i inherited his car.

it is a 05 Accord EX , V6 3.0l i believe . However i have just got in on the road this week and am starting to notice small things i have to put some attention into.

One of the problems is , after i come out of a turn/ corner, the wheel does not rebound and i have to manually correct the wheel and straighten out the car myself. im not to sure if the pump is failing or i was thinking the rack and pinion may need to be greased?

also, i havent had time, this is a small problem and im sure i can figure it out myself i just havent had time to look at anything yet. Im not to sure if it is a balljoint or a cv joint, but if i turn the wheels while the car is not moving, there is a squeaking noice coming from the mid/ right side of the front of the car. could this also be a shot strut?

Old 03-21-2013, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Squeaking is probably the belt driving the power-steering pump.

What you said about the wheel not straightening itself might just be that it needs a suspension alignment. But does it feel like there's excessive friction in the steering action? Then maybe ask for them to check whether there's any bad balljoints.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Kind of what Jim said, my first thought when I read your post was "alignment".

Old 03-22-2013, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

While I respect and do agree with what the others have posted.....I read this a bit different.

Wheel does not want to straighten on its own......sitting still and turn the wheel and have a noise...yes have to rule out the serp belt...if a ball joint is failing - sticking - then the two issues you state could be a result of just that.

If sitting still and you can turn the wheel and hear the nosie, get a helper to turn the wheel as you get near the area and nail down the source of the noise.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe a bit more explanation...

Imagine if you were to lift the front wheels off the ground. Does the steering operate smooth & easy without noise? If so, the lack of centering is probably alignment.

Or does the steering have excessive friction when you turn the steering wheel? And noise? That's what Poorman is thinking.

You have to check it & figure out which of those is happening. I don't think Poorman & I disagree, we just think of different possibilities for you to check out.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JimBlake
You have to check it & figure out which of those is happening. I don't think Poorman & I disagree, we just think of different possibilities for you to check out.
You would be correct....I was trying to give another idea/thought. As I'm sure you, shipo even said it, my first read was "alignment". You even hinted to ball joints in your post.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:14 PM

There is also a current recall on the pwr steering suction hose. O-ring at intake to the pump, has been replaced with hi-temp version (.89 cents). If it is cracked you get a growling noise from pump and air in resevoir. X2 on alignment. Get it checked.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:25 PM

i have a different question (dont know how to start new post) I have 97 accord ex at idle the temperature gauge gos up to the middle when driving it goes down changed thermostat about six months ago any ideas
thanks

Old 03-26-2013, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a bad thermostat.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

If you're in a warm climate, it's sorta normal. When you're driving there's plenty of air moving through the radiator. Then the temperature stays down around 30% or 40% of the gauge.

Idling, the temperature gets hotter, and the electric radiator-fans don't come on until the temperature guage gets around 50% or a little more. The fan switch isn't set like a hair-trigger - the gauge will go up enough to notice.

- Do BOTH of the fans run when it gets warm idling?

- How high does the gauge get? Does it ever get close to the top?

Quick Reply: Inherited my fathers 05 V6 EX need help- new honda owner