General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the Accord Forums and planning on buying one soon

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Serenity
Unregistered
Default New to the Accord Forums and planning on buying one soon

Hey all,
I'm new to these forums, I'm planning on buying a 98 or 99 Honda Accord (the ones with the sweet triangle taillights) and am just looking to get as much information on the car as possible. I'm hoping to find a 5 spd, I know they are more uncommon then autos but I love driving standards. I dont think I have much preference to whether its a 4 cyl or v6, but I was hoping to get some opinions on which is better. I know a girl I worked with had a 98 Accord V6 and the thing had like 220hp? Thats pretty for a v6 Id say, but does the 4 cyl have much less horsepower?
Also, if there is anything any of you knowledgable people could tell me about the car that I should know that would be awesome too. For example, how hard are the spark plugs to change? Is it a 5 hour job? Does the motor need to come out? (I know on some cars, Jaguars in particular the motor needs to come out to change the spark plugs) Just things like that, general maintenance etc. What types of problems do 98/99's typically have etc? Anything you could tell me would really help.
I am so stoked about getting one, I think they are such sweet cars.Im looking to pay around 10k tops ( Canadian price) I think thats pretty reasonable.

Glad to be a new member on this forums, and hopefully I can learn a lot here.

-Laura

Old 04-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Administrator
Default RE: New to the Accord Forums and planning on buying one soon

Hello New member and welcome to the forums..we are Happy that you joined up with us and that you will have youe questions answered by some of the more knowlegable members here in the forum..
Im moving this post over to the General Information for you and Please read the information and rules at the tops of the forums...
Have a Great Day way up there in the B.C.

WheelbrokerAng

[IMG]local://upfiles/22/C3F40A929CCC4D998F8A31A4CE2FEC54.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/22/D9FC15FC0149454A926B5BD594374028.gif[/IMG]

Old 04-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Fitst off Welcome to HAF..

Both sedan and coupe models have a new, more rigid chassis for improved ride and handling and lower noise levels. The sedans are offered the familiar trim levels -- 4-cylinder DX, LX, and EX, plus LX and EX V6 models. Engines for all are new, and upscale ones use Honda's patented VTEC variable valve timing system. The 2.3-liter 4- cylinder comes in 135-horsepower normal or 150-horse VTEC form. The 3.0-liter VTEC V6 makes a healthy 200 horsepower. All 4- cylinder Accords have the choice of a 5-speed manual or 4-speed automatic with the Grade Logic shift control system. V6 models are only available with the automatic.

The engine in 1998 Accord LX and EX V6 models is of the same single-overhead cam, 24-valve aluminum alloy design as the old V6. But, at 3.0 liters instead of 2.7, it is larger and more powerful, with 200 horsepower versus the previous 170. Use of the VTEC variable valve lift and timing system enables it to make more power over a wider engine speed range while using less fuel. Unlike some competitors, it sips regular unleaded, not expensive premium. The Accord V6 sedan is very quick, with plenty of seamless, useable power for all situations.

replace the plugs is a POC ( PIECE OF CAKE ) 4 cyl is easier.
I would definately get one with manual tranny .but it only comes on the 4cyl engine. Honda has been having some problem with their auto trannies . If you really want the extra horsepower that the v6 offers you have to cope with an auto tranny

Old 04-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Serenity
Unregistered

Oh wow, thanks for that info. I guess its the 4 cyl I'll be going after then. I keep reading about problems people are having with the trannys for the 98/99's. Thats only the autos that have the bad trannys?

Old 04-02-2007, 12:23 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Yeah, only thr autos, enough for honda to extend the coverage on them to 6/100 for a couple of the model years.