General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Accord Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 08:48 PM
Default New Accord Owner

Hey Honda Lovers!!

Just so this doesn't turn into a repeat thread, please direct me to the correct area on here if this topic has been discussed before, or if there is a spot on here with pictures, that would be even better. So here is what I have going on....

My younger brother got this 94 Accord DX from his wife's brother, and prior to that it was a one owner bought new by the wife's grandma. It was a daily driver, and after my brother got it, there was a noticeable ticking noise under the hood. After taking it to a local Honda guy, it was determined that there was a bent valve, and an oil leak. I will say that after taking a look at the motor(mind you I have not owned a Honda till this one), I am not a big fan of overhead cam motors. I don't have a ton of experience when it comes to messing with timing, so I guess here is my first question. Can the head with the cam assembly be removed all as 1 unit? Will the cam move freely after I undo the timing belt?

I am not looking to do a build, just get it back to running and driving. When I get the car picked up next week, I will try to post pics as I go along. Any advice, points in the right direction, is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance..Oh...also, this might help..it's a 2.2 VTEC..5sp.

Last edited by TankDX; 06-18-2015 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

How did they verify the valve is bent? Where is the oil leak?

The head and cam can be removed as one unit.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:11 AM

the guy my brother took it to is a well known Honda mechanic in our area, I don't know exactly what he did or looked at. I haven't had the chance to locate the leak yet. I won't have the car in my possession till next week. I don't have a certain amount of time to get it running, but I don't want to throw a bunch of parts at it, with no end result.
I will try to get ahold of my brother to get some more info, he travels for work, so it's hard to get ahold of him...

Old 06-23-2015, 09:15 PM

Apparently the valve seals are shot, lots of blue smoke coming out the tail pipe, and the spark plugs were fairly saturated with oil. So regardless, I have to remove the head anyway. Might as well learn as much as I can...

Old 06-26-2015, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
How did they verify the valve is bent? Where is the oil leak?

The head and cam can be removed as one unit.
The valve is bent...it's easily seen. I tried to post a picture from my iPhone but it keeps kicking me off safari...also have a broken rocker arm

Old 06-26-2015, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like the timing belt broke which in turn caused the bent valve.