General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Honda Accord LX 4 cyl. automatic

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 02:05 PM
Default 1998 Honda Accord LX 4 cyl. automatic

I was changing the oil on my daughter's Accord. It was up on a ramp.
When I was done, I was trying to shift the gear from PARK to Reverse and the button on the shifter would not go in. After several tries, I finally got it to shift by giggling the handle.

Once I got it off the ramp, it was still a bit of trouble, but not as much. I talked to my daughter about it and she has never had a problem with it. She drove it around and it is not a problem.

Is this an intermittent problem that will get worse over time? At first I thought maybe I was not pressing the brakes enough, but I doubt that was it. Looking back, I suspect the problem is in the handle because the push button finally pushed in when I was giggling the shifter.

If it gets to the point that the button will not release the shift, do I just change out the handle and the button? I thought it might be the sensor on the brake pedal, but I doubt it because the button finally gives, if I shake the handle enough.

It has been a month and no problem so far, but I want to be prepared to make a quick fix it it ever stops working.

NOTE: The problem was only when I was trying to get it out of PARK... once I get it out of Park, then shifting from R to D, etc.. is not a problem.

Thanks,
Rob

Old 06-25-2015, 03:49 PM

If the push button is a little sticky then I recommend a quick pray of light weight silicone spray that can be bought at any parts store. Spray it on the button and seam where it pushes into the lever and rapidly push the button to work it into the seam. I would maintain it other then wait for a problem to arise.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:40 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Your daughter, regular driver, isn't having a problem.

Next time you put car on ramp to oil change, don't use park at all - just use neutral
and the parking brake and a brick or wood piece under the tire to hold it steady.

Best.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:55 AM

I might try silicone. But I am pretty sure it had something to do with tilting the car.
The reason I want to be prepared and understand why it happened is that she will Park on a hill sooner or later (if this is the cause of it). My daughter did have trouble a couple of times after I got the car off the ramp, but it eventually went away.

I am assuming it will come back, but when and how is why I want to be prepared. Is something loose in the handle or is there a sensor that is intermittent in the brake pedal?

Old 06-26-2015, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There is a solenoid that moves a gate to enable shifting. Solenoid can get out of position. This is in addition to possible electrical faults; brake light switch, wiring fault, keyswitch fault.

good luck

Old 06-26-2015, 02:38 PM

Where is this solenoid? I wouldn't be surprised if this is it.

I am 95% sure that something is preventing the shift button from being allowed to move in. AT first I thought it was something mechanical in the handle, but there could be an electrical switch that is intermittent. And this switch is preventing the button on the shift handle from moving.

Last edited by rockhoundrob; 06-26-2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Solenoid is under the shift lever in the center console. If it's working you cna hear it when keyswitch is On and brake pedal pressed. If not it may be intermittent or defective. The "over-ride" slot allows you to mechanically bypass this interlock.

good luck