General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Honda Automatic Alarm Door Configuration

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Default 1998 Honda Automatic Alarm Door Configuration

I bought this factory alarm door key from eBay. They sent me the directions to configure the alarm key, but it doesn't seem to work. They said to start the car and press the lock button w/i 4 seconds and turn the ignition off. repeat this for 4 times and it should work.... So far, I've had no luck. If any of you know how to install an alarm key that configures automatic door locks on a 1998 Honda Accord EX V6 Coupe, please let me know.

Thank you.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1998 Honda Automatic Alarm Door Configuration

In our DIY section, there are several links to sites that have shop manuals that you can download. I think that there is one for the 98-02 accords.

The owners manual might have that information in there too.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1998 Honda Automatic Alarm Door Configuration

Try this. I think you just missed some of the details...

programming remotes...

1) Unlock Doors

2) Turn ignition key to "ON" position (II)

3) Press the "LOCK" or "UNLOCK" button on the remote

4) Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" position (0, I)

5) Turn the ignition key to the "ON" position

6) Press lock or unlock

7) Turn key to off position

8) on position

9) lock or unlock

10) off position

11) on position

12)lock or unlock - doors should cycle to indicate successful programming. If you only have one remote, turn ignition to off or don't touch anything. if you have 2+ remotes, go to 13:

13) lock on each transmitter that you need to program

*Steps 2-12 must be performed within 5 seconds of each other. Step 13 can be performed within 10 seconds of step 12.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:29 PM
Default Also need help

Anyone know a reputable place (including ebay links) to buy to buy a remote transmitter? Both of mine have stopped working. I will try find a thread on what is wrong with them but will post for troubleshoot if I cannot find the answer.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Have you checked the battery inside the remote?

Old 05-18-2009, 03:51 PM
Default Fixed

Jim, Sorry I forgot to mention that I did check battery and bought new one. I posted a thread and the first reply from member "RTV55" worked. Thanks for your help though. Here is what fixed it.

foxylady,
You may need to install new batteries and reprogram before you order new ones. Here's the steps to reprogram.
KEYLESS ENTRY PROGRAMMING

Have all remotes for the vehicle on hand.
Make sure all the doors and rear hatch/trunk are closed during programming.
Only need to use 1 remote to get into program mode but all remotes must be programmed during the same session.
Each step must be completed within 5 seconds.
1. Sit in the car with all doors/trunk tightly closed
2. Turn the key to the ON position, marked by “II” on the ignition bezel so the dash lights come on, then within 5 seconds press the “Lock” button on the remote for 1 second or so and release the button.
3. Turn the key to the OFF position, marked by “I” on the ignition bezel – dash lights go off.
4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 three more times (A total of 4 times) – each step must be done within 5 seconds of the previous step.
5. Upon the 4th turning of the key to “ON”, press the lock button on one remote, the locks will make a cycling sound (clunk), locks will NOT lock or unlock at this point, they will just make a noise. The system is now in programming mode. Do not turn key off.
6. Within 5 seconds of entering programming mode and within 5 seconds of each other, press the lock button ON EACH remote you are programming, for a second or so and release. This step needs to be completed within 10 seconds. Each time a remote button is pushed, the locks should cycle. Up to 3 remotes can be programmed.
7. Turn ignition completely off and remove the key. Step out of car and close door. The remotes should be programmed and should work. If you have a trunk/hatch release, the button for this feature needs to be held for a few seconds before the trunk/hatch will “pop”.

Check Ebay for remotes. I just bought a used one for my 1999 EX and it worked better than the one I ran over. If you do buy one make sure you specify it's for a 1998 EX Accord. Apparently there is a difference between EX, DX, etc. Honda dealers want around $117 for a new one so look on the Internet for one. Get a real Honda though. RTV55