General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New Battery Keeps Draining, Meters Dont Show

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 09:16 AM
driver6198
Unregistered
Default New Battery Keeps Draining, Meters Dont Show

Hey Ya'll, great forum, I have been searching around for a bit before I decided to ask, I could not locate anything similiar to what I am experiencing. My grandfather has given me his 1993 Accord EX, 118,000 miles. Runs great, he has taken care ofthis car. Back about a year ago, he told me his main fuse? blew out. He had that replaced from honda mechanic. No problems. Then about 6 months later, his car would not start, his mechanic told him everything is fine, it just needs a battery. No problems after that ,until lately, what is happening is that if you do not start the car within a week of the last time it was running, it will not start, you need to jump it, so I took it to my mechanic, he had it for 1 month, ( i did not need it and I told him to take his time, ) he charged me nothing, he said he had every meter on it, and nothing is pulling from the battery, the battery is new, but needs to be jumped after a week. So now it sits in my driveway, the easiest thing to do is just go start it everyday, but sometimes I dont, and sometimes 5 days goes by, and then I have to jump it, I am not driving on a daily basis yet, but Id love to figure this out, again, this vehicle sat in a garage for a month hooked up to all kinds of stuff, kinda looked like an ICU room in a hospital, and nothing or at least nothing showed that it was pulling juice from battery when car is off. ANY suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Default RE: New Battery Keeps Draining, Meters Dont Show

Test the battery itself first, it may have a bad cell in it. Otherwise, try the following. First get yourself a digital multimeter and a note pad.

Check the battery voltage with it connected to the car and write down the voltage. Start pulling fuses one-by-one ( first make sure the interior dome lightis turned to off )noting any drop in voltage. Most of the time you can locate the draining circuit. Good Luck....

Old 01-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

How long ago was the battery replaced? And where do you live? If you live somewhere really cold it will drain a lot faster.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

Disconnect the battery cables, THEN see whether it drains. If it still drains, then it positively HAS to be a bad battery.