General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New car with a few electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Pauliepaulie
Unregistered
Question New car with a few electrical problems

Hey guys I just recently purchased a 1993 Accord and all is well with the car except for a few electrical glitches. The radiator fan comes on and runs a cycle of ten minutes after the car has been turned off...even if the car is not fully started.
The other thing is I have power to the battery up until the point that I turn the key to start the car. Then the key is turned to the off position and only after I have slammed the drivers side door a few times will the car actually start.
Please help out with any information that you may have regarding this problem as I am new to the forum and this problem is rather annoying.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

The fan problem possibly the coolant temperature sensor B or the wiring. It is a switch that turns on when the coolant temperature is at some set temperature when the car is turned off.

I am not sure what you mean about the battery power problem. Power comes from the battery. Do you have no power in the interior (radio, etc) or the car when you turn the key to start? Or is the starter not working when you try to start? Please describe in more detail.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:02 PM
Pauliepaulie
Unregistered

When I turn the key to start there is no power at all. All the electrical gauges turns off, the interior lights turn off when I turn the key to start it. Anything would indicate that there is a connection to the battery turns off while I am trying to start the car.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

It could be either a flaky ignition switch (slamming the door was a hint for that); or a bad battery. A battery can be OK for most things in the car, but the starter takes much more power than everything else combined. Have someone ues a voltmeter to measure at the battery posts while you try to start. Tell us what the measurement does before during & after.