General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New CEL codes fun fun fun!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Cody_754
Poorman: I have never replaced the plugs and wires. I've only had the car about a year now. And no the new distributor was installed because my old one was leaking internally. The new one only cost me $90.
Sorry, never saw a confirmation that the new one came with a new cap and rotor.....I'd pull them off and look just to be sure.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I'll check them out tomorrow before I head out for work and I'll update on here. Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated!

Old 05-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Almost A Senior Member

So today I went by autozone and picked me up NGK V-Power spark plugs and installed them. This was my first time ever doing spark plugs and I belive it went well. The only thing I thought was kind of unusual was when I pulled the wire boot off the spark plugs it was coated in oil. Also, when I removed the actual spark plugs they were coated in oil. I just did my best to wipe up most of the oil I could and replace with the new ones. Is it bad for their to be oil in the spark plug wells?

Old 05-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

So today I went by autozone and picked me up NGK V-Power spark plugs and installed them. This was my first time ever doing spark plugs and I belive it went well. The only thing I thought was kind of unusual was when I pulled the wire boot off the spark plugs it was coated in oil. Also, when I removed the actual spark plugs they were coated in oil. I just did my best to wipe up most of the oil I could and replace with the new ones. Is it bad for their to be oil in the spark plug wells?
Yes it is cody
The oil causes causes problems with the wires.
To fix you need a new valve cover gasket which will come with the o-rings that seal the tubes and prevent the oil from leaking into them.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Gotcha! I'll just have to get that done when I have the time. Is valve cover gasket something easy to do?

Old 05-10-2012, 06:47 PM

Gotcha! I'll just have to get that done when I have the time. Is valve cover gasket something easy to do?
yes easy to do

you should no problem doing it.

I have heard that a dab of gasket sealer on the 4 corners of the cover helps but it is not necessary.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:41 PM

Is your car a 4 or 6 cyl? I have the exact same problem going on with my 95 v6! Post what you find out!

Old 05-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Cody's car is a 4-cyl.

The spark plugs on the 1995 V-6 don't install into holes in the valve covers. Probably best to start your own thread.

oops... I see you already have started your own thread.

Last edited by JimBlake; 05-10-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by crispin
Cody - Well $20 is not bad at all.
The leaking dist would have been fixed with a $7.00 O ring, it is a very common and easy to fix problem.
not if it is leaking internally.. you got to replace the inner shaft seal , ( un-available at dealer) you got get it online 20 dollars or so,,,,,to replace that seal you need to take all the inner parts of the distributor out , to get to the seal ,,

i am with the other guys , replace plugs ,wires, use ngk plugs ,,,,,,

Old 05-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by deserthonda
not if it is leaking internally.. you got to replace the inner shaft seal , ( un-available at dealer) you got get it online 20 dollars or so,,,,,to replace that seal you need to take all the inner parts of the distributor out , to get to the seal ,,

i am with the other guys , replace plugs ,wires, use ngk plugs ,,,,,,
Yea that's the one I replaced in my old distributor after I bought my new one. It cost me $25 w/ shipping. I replaced rusty old Autolite plugs with brand spanking new NGKs and reset CEL. It hasn't come back on yet and I've drove 150 miles!

Quick Reply: New CEL codes fun fun fun!