General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

new guy from colorado

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Default new guy from colorado

hello everyone, just got my first honda ever in the 30 some years ive been driving.It is a 94 honda accord, with the 2.2L vtect engine.Runs great but i have come acroos some problems with it.First i found out i had no dash lights so i researched it and answers came up on this forum.I read about the dimmer on the left side on the steering column.I changed it out and that didnt help.I also found the small lights fuse to be blown and i replaced it and that didnt help.While trying to figure out how to fix the dash lights i came across a post where a guy didnt have any dash lights of tail lights, so i checked my tail lights and darn my didnt work either.So i tried to replace the switch on the steering column that turns the lights on,and when i did that i turned the lights on and i got the ding ding noise that i had left me lights on(door was open also) and i got the front maker lights to come on.Tail lights where on real dim could hardly see them,and im not sure if they where always like that since i had to take the bulb out of the lense to even see the light after i tried all this crazy stuff. Ok so i turned the car on and the fuse blew and i didnt have the front maker lights on anymore .All in all i tried to replace the fuses and i checked the bulbs and the light switch and the dimmer and nothing.No tail lights no dash lights and now after all the bs i no longer have brake lights !!!!!! If anyone can make head or tails of what i just wrote and can help please do so, this is the car that is suppossed to take me back and forth to work.But no tail lights or brake light i cant drive it.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:07 AM

Ok i figured out the brake light problem, the bulbs i put in where bad, so i put a set of new ones in and now i have brake lights.Also i tried putting another fuse in the small light fuse holder under the dash and without starting the honda i turned the lights on and i got dash lights but they are really dim and i know as soon as i start the thing up the fuse will blow.so it sounds like a ground issue maybe. Has anyone come across this?

Old 03-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i got dash lights but they are really dim...Tail lights where on real dim could hardly see them...as soon as i start the thing up the fuse will blow...
I believe the tail lights and dash lights are on the same circuit. Something is shorting to ground. Does the car have an aftermarket radio? If so, that might be a good place to start unplugging things to isolate the short.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:33 PM

No the radio is factory, everything is factory nothing special or after market.