General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New Honda owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Default New Honda owner

I am not a new member, but I havent posted here in a while if ever. I reluctantly purchased a 2010 Accord V6 EX-L w/Nav and all that yesterday for the wife. She gave up a what I consider to be my favorite vehicle of all time EVER in the interest of mileage. I have owned 2 Accords in my life (84 and 92) and the wife owned a 94 years ago. I just want to know if there is anything special I need to know about this car, things to look for, potential issues or things that I can do other than standard maintenance to keep this car running. I took good care of both my older Accords, like timing belt replacement and those things, but these new ones are totally different animals and it is my first V-6 Accord.

Anybody know a way to make a DVD play on the Nav screen? I see the changer in back is a DVD-rom, but I am pretty confident that it is for the Nav data. Any aftermarket DVD setups that will work for the kids in the back? Like headrest units? It is one of the things that the wife gave up that the kids loved

Anything special on break-in? I have hammered the throttle a couple times and was quite surprised at how quick the car and how good the mileage is considering the HP and V-6. I won't do that anymore until it is good and ready. In the previous car, 40 miles would have moved the gas gauge somewhat, in this car, it had 2 miles on it at delivery and now it has 46 miles, the gas gauge hasn't budged, so that is a plus.

I suppose I should read the owners manual and cheat sheet for the technology. Kind of frustrating after just having the previous vehicle's electronics all figured out

Old 04-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Administrator
Lightbulb Hello Member

I'm moving this over to the Genl Tech Forum where maybe some one
might have and answer for you..

WheelBrokerAng

Old 04-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

I have a feeling you can't play movies (product liability & all that...).

Automatic tranny? Probably the maintenance schedule has something really stupid long for the ATF intervals. I'd drain/fill the auto-trans @ 40k or 50k miles (don't wait for 90k).

Old 04-13-2010, 09:24 AM

Yep, automatic. The interval thing scares me, how good is the system that checks the condition of your oil before it needs to be changed? I agree on the 50k tranny service.

I knew there was a way to watch DVD's on the nav screen of my previous vehicle if the emergency brake was on, I dont know think this car has a DVD player to actually view movies, I think it is for the NAV info only. It didnt appear that the Honda Accord was available with viewable DVD setup.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

I've become a believer in the oil-life monitor. I've had used-oil analyzed when the monitor said 10%. (The maintenance idiot-light comes on at 15%) The analysis said I could go longer, so that gave me confidence that I can let it go down to zero without worrying.

BTW, it doesn't actually measure the oil. It keeps track (in great detail) how you've used the car, so it takes into account how many times you start the enigne, how cold is the oil when you start it, how often you rev the snot out of it, all that kinda stuff.