General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New Honda owner - have quesitons about what is "normal"

Old 01-04-2008, 04:42 PM
Default New Honda owner - have quesitons about what is "normal"

Hey guys, I just picked up a 2003 Accord LX 4 cylinder. I love it. I have some questions since I'm not familiar with Hondas.

1) Reverse sound - When I move the car backwards, it makes a sound like some older manual transmission cars used to make, like a gear wining sound. Is that normal?

2) Noisy valves when cold - I've noticed that when its cold, like this morning (it was 10 degrees Fahrenheit), the engine makes some clattering sounds, but it goes away when it warms up. Again, is this normal?

3) Antenna reception - The factory radio didn'tget acceptable reception. I put a new radio in and it too gets poor reception. This new radio had great reception when it was in my old car. Is this some design issue with the Accord perhaps? I believe that this car used to have an aftermarket radioin it at one time and so I wonder if someone did something wrong do the antenna wire. However, visually it appears okay.

4) High RPMs at warm up - While the car is warming up it has a high idle. Especially when it is in reverse it really goes LOL.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Default RE: New Honda owner - have quesitons about what is "normal"

1) Normal (for manual trans anyway - I don't hear it in the automatic accord)
2) Not sure the amount of clatter you are talking about, but I don't really notice any in either of my Accords (maybe I'm not listening hard enough). When was the last time you changed the oil? What type of oil (i.e. 5w20, 5w30, 10w30)did you use? What octane gas are you using?
3) Not normal. My accords both get good reception. The 95 has an aftermarket unit & the 2000 has the stock unit. Someone must have messed up an antenna wire somewhere.
4) Normal

Welcome to the forum! You may want to put a signature line like mine below listing the year, model, engine, and transmission of your accord.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:01 PM

Is your antenna in your rear window? if so has the rear window ever been replaced? Possibly they didn't reconnect the antenna...?

Old 01-04-2008, 05:05 PM

Hey man, thanks for the feedback.

1) Sorry, I didn't specify, I have an auto tranny. Thats why I think its strange how it sounds like a manual when I back it up.

2) The guy I bought it from has been running Synthetic. I know nothing about synthetic; do they have a viscosity rating with synthetic?

3) Dang it. When I put a test meter on the antenna wire, should I be able to read and impedance or resistance value? I'm not getting anything. Where is the antenna itself? Is it built into the back window defroster? Where is the other end of the wire located?

Thanks!

Old 01-04-2008, 05:10 PM

I belive it is built into the window, do you happen to know where the connector is? I'll go out right now and see if its in the trunk somewhere.

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

Is your antenna in your rear window? if so has the rear window ever been replaced? Possibly they didn't reconnect the antenna...?

Old 01-04-2008, 05:11 PM

Cool, the signature works

Old 01-04-2008, 05:14 PM

synthetic does have a viscosity rating it's just a thinner oil, if he's running synthetic who knows what he put in unless he tells you.... as for the reverse noise I've never really noticed it on an automatic either, I've never owned an 03 though so It's hard to say for certain. Perhaps a tranny drain and re-fill is in order...

Antenna, I'm fairly certain it's built into the back window, runs under the headliner and has a small plug that sticks out at the top rear of the back window, the other end goes to your deck of course... as for a test on it I have no idea... BTW located at the top center of rear window... kinda winds around and resembles the defroster

Old 01-04-2008, 05:53 PM

Thanks, I'll take another look and see if I can locate where the antenna plugs into the rear window.

I know where he was getting the oil changes done at, I'm sure they have a record of what viscosity has been used.

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

synthetic does have a viscosity rating it's just a thinner oil, if he's running synthetic who knows what he put in unless he tells you.... as for the reverse noise I've never really noticed it on an automatic either, I've never owned an 03 though so It's hard to say for certain. Perhaps a tranny drain and re-fill is in order...

Antenna, I'm fairly certain it's built into the back window, runs under the headliner and has a small plug that sticks out at the top rear of the back window, the other end goes to your deck of course... as for a test on it I have no idea... BTW located at the top center of rear window... kinda winds around and resembles the defroster

Old 01-04-2008, 05:59 PM

Someone else will have to let you know on the interval but I was under the impression that at about 30,000 you should get a valve adjustment done, that may help as well if it's never been done.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:22 PM

1)Normal. the automatic has straight cut gearsjust like the manual reverse gear.

2)Normal. this engine hasa very nicevalve train. the valve adjustment isn't recommended until 105k.as long as it's quiet when fully warmed up, that's how it's designed to be. the gm hydraulic valve crap is the only 'quiet' system, as long as it works. it's sloppy though.

3)unsure...the antenna connectors to the rear windshield are behind the left c-pillar.

make sure they are secure.
turn on the defroster while on an am station. does it affect the quailty excessively? if so, replace the window antenna coil.

4)not normal. the damn car takes off like a rocket without touching the gas pedal! there is a pcm update to fix that. you can only have it done at the dealer(requires a dealer scantool).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Honda owner - have quesitons about what is "normal"