General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new issue *now that idle fixed lol

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 06:42 PM
Default new issue *now that idle fixed lol

Battery light staying in dash...I tested alternator and no voltage...belt is tight...outside alternator the obvious
..anything else it coukd be? Is there a fuse? 89 accord manual with carb

Old 04-21-2014, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

If you don't mind let's keep this down to one post/question for the same topic.

So what test did you do on the alt? You tested from the top post on the alt and got nothing?

BTW - be sure that you "seated" the choke wire back on the choke stat, yes this is tied back to the alt, trust me I know

Old 04-21-2014, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, not sure where you are at...but if it is the alt - I have a "carb" alt for this gen in the garage somewhere?

Old 04-21-2014, 07:59 PM
Default testing that alt

i have two testers.. one you plug into the cigarette and it lights up or not if charging.. got nothing.. tested to the battery while running at idle and giving it gas and got nothing.. prior to yesterday that battery light wasnt staying on... so you have pictures in the garage ? u mean on this website or a literal garage lol sorry for being a dumba## i really dont want to pull the axle.. im afraid everythign will crumble lol

Old 04-21-2014, 08:00 PM

matthews nc here

Old 04-21-2014, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

I'm saying I have an alternator (working) somewhere in the garage that will fit your car.

Now, "nothing" at the battery while the car was running? You should at least have gotten "battery" voltage.

As I said, the book says to pull the cv shaft - I have changed at least six alts on these and NEVER pulled the cv shaft.....I think four were carb'd and two were FI models.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:45 PM

Yeah got battery juice lights. No alternator on two different testers. How much for the alternator? All I know is I want to get it replaced myself...are the heater core hoses on the drivers firewall side?

Old 04-22-2014, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Let me got out and look around in the garage - I know I had one out there about six months ago, hope I didn't throw it away when I got rid of the last 3rd gen carb'd car I had. If I find it, you can have it for the cost of shipping. Not sure what that will cost as it is kind of heavy and not sure if they will hold true to the "if it fits it ships for one flate rate"?

Right now I don't own a 3rd gen carb so it is doing me no good - just taking up space in the garage.

The hoses to the heater core are kind of "right/pass side center" of the car. Look for the heater control valve near the firewall from the pass/right side fender. Somewhere in my failing memeory, one of the two set ups (carb and auto vs carb and manual) the alt will actually come out without removing those hoses. You can go to one of the many online Honda dealers (Majestic Honda for example) and put in your car info and go to the ""Water Valve" subheading and you will see a pic of the hoses.

For reference, the Gates PN for the hoses is #18851 (uppper, longer one) and #20338 (lower short one from the heater control valve to the heater core).

In doing this a few more times, I can get the lower bolt out without removing the splash shield - a 14mm and a swivel and then the right extensions and done. I had to tighten the alt belt just a few weeks ago and didn't even raise the car - turned the wheels and was able to get the lower bolt loose.

If you want me to write up a whole step by step - start a new thread with the one question of "how to change the alt on a 3rd gen" and I will go through everything - it will be from memory so you might have to fill in/update a few steps

Old 04-22-2014, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry, did a recon in the garage. Can't find the alt for the carb'd? I'm pissed because I had another for the FI as well and I can't find it either? So I know I'm getting old and my memory is bad but this just confirms that.

I guess at some point I threw both of them out?

Old 04-23-2014, 04:33 AM

Thats cool man I appreciate it. Ill pick up a new tough one- its a remy and hope I can get tge old one off. Did u still have to take wheel off to get to bottom bolts? Did u loosen belt from top?

QUOTE=poorman212;344228]Sorry, did a recon in the garage. Can't find the alt for the carb'd? I'm pissed because I had another for the FI as well and I can't find it either? So I know I'm getting old and my memory is bad but this just confirms that.

I guess at some point I threw both of them out?[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: new issue *now that idle fixed lol