General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New keys?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 11:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default New keys?

I have a 2003 Accord LX 2.4L. I bought this about 2 months ago. I just realized that the car should have come with a remote that was built into the key. I went back to the used car dealership where I bought the car and they showed me the paperwork when they bought it that it only came with the Valet Key. Is there a way that I can get a new key. I read that you can get a copy for about 150$ from a Honda Dealership but no one has said wether it comes with the remote or not. If not is there another system I could put in the car that would allow me to lock and unlock the car doors?

Old 03-13-2013, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

You definitely should be able to get the honda key/remote combo.

There may be some honda remotes (maybe the TSX?) where the stand-alone remote would work on your accord. I think the FCCID would have to be the same between a remote on your car and the donor when looking on sites like Ebay.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:41 AM
Administrator

Follow PAHondas suggestion and you shall be alright..Welcome to the HAF..

Old 03-14-2013, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

I used to have a 1998 Accord and a 2003 Accord at the same time. Just for grins, I programmed their remote-lock transmitters across both cars and it worked. So I could use the 98 remote to unlock the 03 doors.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

the other problem with just the valet key is that you can't lock/unlock the manual trunk release and the same with the glove box. you could get a complete key off ebay for 35-40 bucks, but you'll still need it cut and programmed to the car. save some time chasing your tail and just go to the dealer, and make sure they reprogram the current key you have as well or it won't start the car. key should be about 75 bucks(includes cutting) and around 100 to program both. and NO, locksmiths can't program the keys.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Alright thanks. I will be going to a Honda dealership this weekend to get a new key. Sucks they are that much! The key that I have will unlock the glove box and the trunk lock near the feet on the drivers side. I don't know if that means I have the regular key instead of the valet. The key is black and it has a "V" right near the plastic.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

If your key will open the trunk, then it isn't a valet key. The valet key is normally grey, not black. But I don't understand why the car even came with that kind of key. Are you in USA?

Old 03-14-2013, 06:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes I am in the US. The trunk doesn't have a way to open it from the outside unless it is hidden somewhere?? There is a lock for the trunk/gas release on the drivers side floor. That the key fits in and the key does lock and unlock that. I added a photo of the key as well.

Attached Thumbnails New keys?-photo.jpg  
Old 03-14-2013, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

That's some kind of aftermarket key, but it must be made for Honda and it must have an immobilizer chip - otherwise it wouldn't start the engine. But it doesn't have a "H" emblem molded into the plastic head.

That's not a valet key, because the actual valet key will not work the lever on the floor, and won't work the glovebox. The valet key has a grey plastic head, with an "H" emblem.

My 2003 Accord LX 4-cyl 4-door had a key cylinder in the right-side tail-lamp cluster. The part of the lamp that's on the trunk lid. It's not centered on the trunk lid.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Now with this key is Honda going to be able to make me a new one?

Also I checked my trunk and there is no key hole. I have the 4 Cyl LX Coupe. I dont know if that makes a difference.

Quick Reply: New keys?