General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member 99 Accord Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 05:51 PM
Default New Member 99 Accord Won't Start

Hey guys, just joined up hoping someone can help me out here.
OK so I just "inherited" this accord. Its been in a wreck. The drivers front was taken out by a semi. It sounds worse than it is. It took out the lights and the rad, but left mostly everything else ok. Here the thing. After the wreck the guy said it was still running, so he shut it off. He later started it and drove it a ways, but when he turned on the headlights (half of which were smashed) the car died and everything shut off. No dash lights, no crank, nothing. He had a buddy look at it and he replaced the fuse for the left (smashed) headlight (maybe) and everything started working again, except it wont start. Turn the key and the fuel pump runs, and we can smell fuel. He said that the car has spark (I didnt personally check it, but he's pretty handy and I believe him), but it still wont start. Is there something I'm missing? Fuel, air, spark = run right?
Thanks in advance

Old 12-29-2010, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest checking for fuel pressure by cracking banjo bolt on fuel rail after turning keyswitch to ON for 5 secs and then off. You should get a spirited squirt of fluid (40+ psi) when bolt is cracked. If nothing or a dribble, then fuel pressure may be problem; main fuel relay, fuel pump, or fuel filter.

If fuel pressure is OK, check for spark w/ a timing light attached to one spark plug leak. If you don't get flashes, spark is missing.

If no spark is found, check for 12V to the distributor connector (usually blk/yel wire). Check autozone online manuals for a wiring diagram for your vehicle.

Fuses could be a problem leading to no spark. Check them carefully.

good luck

Old 12-30-2010, 02:03 PM

UPDATE:
OK so I went out there today, Ive got power to the coil. Checked all the fuses. The one fuse that was replaced was the headlight fuse that blew pretty good. Tried cranking it - Nuthin. I pulled a plug, and its soaked. IIRC holding the pedal to the floor will solve a flooded situation - Tried that - No luck. So I pulled a plug....It looks like its soaked in antifreeze, wouldn't catch fire with a lighter.....
The Plot thickens.....
Turns out he drove it for close to 100 miles without antifreeze Im not real familiar with foreign cars (Ive driven Caddys and Lincolns my whole life), but it seems to turn over without much back pressure (like ziiiiiig chug ziiiiiiig chug, instead of chug chug chug chug). Like maybe one cylinder has compression. I dont have access to a compression tester, but Im thinking cracked block or something. I checked the oil, and though low, and pretty burnt smelling, it looked OK. Is it possible to blow the head gasket with no pressure in the system and not mix it with the oil? The weird thing is that he said it was running fine until he turned on the (shorted) headlights and everything died.
Is it a lost cause? I can handle the body work, but if I cant get it running........

I suppose I should mention its the 3.0 V6 VTEC

Old 12-30-2010, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You likely have head gasket damage. You will need to pull heads, have them rebuilt and shaved before reinstallation. it's a pretty big job but w/i capability of a determined DiY'r.

I would get a Honda Shop Manual for your vehicle if you plan to do head job. It's available from helminc.com and other online sources.

good luck