General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New used motor...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 09:43 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default New used motor...

Ok, I decided to start a new post because I have a whole set of new problems. I just put this used moter in mt car because it was cheaper than fixing my old one. So the engine runs fine when it is cold. Before installation I cleaned everything. EGR, FITV, IACV. Once the engine gets to temp. I will let off the gas to stop and the idle wll drop and sometimes stall sometimes not. But at this time the idle becomes rough. Kinda like it is missing on a cylinder. The compression is between 150 and 135 on each.
one of the tests that I read for checking the IACV said 1. to plug the bottom little hole inside the TB and the idle should stableize and 2. that there should be very little vaccum.
Also when the motor is hot and the idle is real low almost dying, I can unplug the FITV and there will be no change in the idle. Shouldnt there be a change in the idle or is that only when the motor is cold.
As allways money is an issue and I dont want to buy a IACV if I need another part instead. Thanks in advance for your help guys..

Old 01-11-2014, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

The IACV is on the back of the upper intake manifold near the firewall. The FITV is bolted to the bottom of the throttle plate.

When you covered the lower port on the throttle body, you test the FITV.

The FITV is controlled by only coolant temp, so you could not have unplugged the FITV.

The IACV is controlled by the engine computer.

Does the check engine light turn on when driving? Have you checked for codes?

What are the wire colors going to the TPS and MAP sensor?