General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New User With A 89 Honda Accord

Old 01-12-2011, 02:47 AM
Default New User With A 89 Honda Accord

I'm new to HAF but I have a couple questions about the 1989 honda accord I just acquired from my uncle. This is my third car but first honda accord and was wondering if anyone had any tips to keep this car running for a long time. As of right now it has 140,000 miles on it and the only issue seems to be a leak in the power steering. Seeing that this is also a stock accord I was also wondering what modifications would go good for this car performance wise.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Hello New Member, I moved you to here because you posted in the wrong forum..

Welcome to the HAF..

Old 01-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

What trim level-DX, LX or LXi? If you not sure I can ask some follow up questions to help you figure it out.

Ask your uncle when the timing belt/water pump (the wp is not as critical on these as others) was last replaced, that would be the first concern.

As far as the PS leak, have you found the source? If you have to add fluid at any time, only use Honda/Acura approved fluid....by the way if it turns out to be the pump, the bolt holding the pulley on is left hand thread.

Never did any "mod's" to mine so I can't help there...I just keep them stock and on the road.

Welcome and good luck.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:24 PM

Its the LX and the timing belt and waterpump were replaced less then 10,000 miles ago. The engine was really well maintained although the rest of the car has few cosmetic issues. Do you know how to fix a leak in the trunk by chance?

I got my buddy helping me find the source of the leak. its not terrible but enough to need to get fixed (hence the difficulty I've had finding it.) Thanks for all the help though I really appreciate it.

Oh also, I dont suppose you know what I should do maintenance wise around 144,000 other then the usual do you?

Old 01-18-2011, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

With that many miles, the first thing is make a list of the maintenance you DO know about. Like for example you know about the timing belt. Compare against maintenance schedule in the owner's manual or Poorman will know since he owns a few of that generation.

Transmission fluid (you got auto or manual??)
Spark plugs
Distributor cap & rotor
Sparkplug wires (are the older ones as bulletproof as the newer ones?)
External drive belts (alternator etc)

Here's a couple that many people forget about:
Fresh antifreeze every couple years
Fresh brake fluid (bleed brakes) every couple years
Power-steering fluid (got PS??)

Inspect your brakes - how much pad thickness is remaining?

Old 01-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Jim-Thanks, I am partial to the 3rd gens....simple and almost bullet proof engines and trans-both auto and manual.

Kerby-use Jim's list, as usual he is dead on. I'll only add a few to check and a few details to what is already there. Since you know the prev owner (keep your uncle happy) that is a great help in what has or hasn't been done.

Trans fluid-auto is more important change. However the manual trans does need to be changed/checked as well.

PS Fluid-ONLY use fluid that is for Honda/Acura cars-Valvoline (auto store I go to carries this brand, there maybe others?) sells this in the aftermarket so you don't have to go to the dealer for it.

Filters-might fall under the normal stuff but I want to point out the TWO fuel filters on this car (LX is carb so I know there are two). One is under the hood-by brake booster. The other is back to the inside of the left/drivers tire. Remove the tire and you should be able to see it.

PCV

Besides that, you should be good to go...enjoy. Trust me, if you take car of these they will go...240K, 255K, 207K and 185K on the four I have...

Last, look into getting a book or download a manual-see the DIY section for places to download one from. If anything comes up you should find an answer in those-I might have a shortcut or two (free one-don't ever pull the CV shaft to change the alt, it will come out without doing that-the books say you have to but...) If it is not in the book or you are not sure let us know....sorry for the long answer.

Last edited by poorman212; 01-18-2011 at 06:53 PM. Reason: I know I can't spell
Old 01-18-2011, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Dang-the leak in the trunk-tail light gaskets. Check the right/pass side first. LX should not have a sun/moon roof unless an aftermarket one was installed?

Old 01-22-2011, 05:07 PM

I now how everything fixed up but also came across another problem that has me stumped. The Honda I have is the LX with 150000 miles on it. The new problem is that the blinkers and hazards arnt working whatsoever; no clicks, no lights, as if they arnt there whatsoever. I tried replacing the fuses and the relay but nothing seemed to work. any suggestions?

Old 01-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hey Kerby, I actually have the exact same car as you 1989 Honda Accord Lx, and my trunk also has a leak! :P I am also a new user what a coincidence

Old 01-22-2011, 05:55 PM

Thats pretty awesome actually. I found that the leak in the trunk was because of the seals on the tail lights. I took some rubber glue thats used for glueing gaskets and created my own seals to prevent leakage. So far so good but only time will tell. I dont suppose you have come across the same problems with the flashers and hazards have yah? I'm still stumped on this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New User With A 89 Honda Accord