General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 04:47 PM
porkchop
Unregistered
Default Newbie

Hey all... bought a 2006 Accord LX SE yesterday.. Royal blue / Grey... leased it with $1750 down, $279 / mo, 58% res.

Got a question about it, one of the things i usually do when getting a new car is replace the restrictive airbox and intake hose with a CAI setup, but in this car, it doesnt seem that restrictive. So I was thinking of just putting a K&N in the stock airbox instead of a full CAI... is that what most people do? or is a CAI preferred?

Old 04-06-2006, 06:01 PM
Default RE: Newbie

SRI would be my suggestion if you are going to replace it... The reason you would still want to do a SRI or CAI is because if you search through the posts lightshow has said/proven that these intakes work off of sound reflecting back at just the right frequency to increase performace more so than the actuall increase of airflow... so even though it's not to restrictive I believe you'll still see some gains with a SRI Vs. just a new K&N airfilter.... Although K&N is still better than just a stock filter...

Welcome to the forum! congrats on the new ride it sounds nice!

Old 04-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Hi Pork Chop...

Of all things to remember is this...The purpose of any air intake system is to gain some sort of horsepower. Most short ram intakes are good for about 4 to 8 H.P..
The C.A.I. or long ram intakes are making about 8 to 20 H.P....Now here's the Question-where are you going to be at?? the top of the H.P or at the bottom of the H.P..

Yes there are drawbacks about long tubes but we get over those drawbacks with useing other means to keep out the water. This question is over talked in all the forums on the whole internet and I say to all...WHERE ARE YOU GOING TO BE...TOP or BOTTOM OF THE H.P. Heap??

The Choice is yours..I know where mine is.....TOP!

WheelBrokerAng

Old 04-06-2006, 07:45 PM
porkchop
Unregistered

Sorry bout posting in the wrong forum...

I hear ya, i've put a CAI on every car i've had because they all have had restrictive boxes or hoses, but judging by the looks of the stock stuff I thought maybe there was finally a car company that got it right. But I guess a lower air entry and a nice aluminum tube still helps I'm in Las Vegas so I really dont have to worry about high water levels, so the CAI for the HP gain and the airflow (and the look and sound) makes the most sense.

Old 04-06-2006, 07:59 PM

Something to keep in mind with the CAI is that wrapping them with heat sheilding will also improve their perfomance by reducing the amount of heat transfered to the air....

Old 04-07-2006, 06:06 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

yea changing out the actual tube always makes more horsepower. and i also think in real world situations a wrapped short ram is better. that metal tube in the cold air systems gets really hot after you drive for a while and acts like a heater, so in some instances you really dont draw any cold air. but if your on the freeway, or at the shop with one of those really big fans in front of the car than a cold air is good. one cold air that i do like is the aem v2 because the tube is insulated and it reflects a timed rarefaction wave back into the cylinder

Old 04-08-2006, 03:40 PM
porkchop
Unregistered

I wish they would make a V2 for the 4cyl accord. It looks like the only MAF compatible CAI for a 06 4 cyl accord is the Fujita right?

Old 04-08-2006, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Very Good and Correct information Mr. Nasty heat is what no one wants except up in Northern Minn. been there..need'd heaaatttt!
WheelBrokerAng

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

Something to keep in mind with the CAI is that wrapping them with heat sheilding will also improve their perfomance by reducing the amount of heat transfered to the air....

Old 04-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Good choice for everyone..this is of course one of the more popular CAI's around and whats great about this one is that It's a proven CAI and not just one that talks a Good Story...

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]
ORIGINAL: lightshow

yea changing out the actual tube always makes more horsepower. and i also think in real world situations a wrapped short ram is better. that metal tube in the cold air systems gets really hot after you drive for a while and acts like a heater, so in some instances you really dont draw any cold air. but if your on the freeway, or at the shop with one of those really big fans in front of the car than a cold air is good. one cold air that i do like is the aem v2 because the tube is insulated and it reflects a timed rarefaction wave back into the cylinder

Old 04-09-2006, 06:12 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: porkchop

Hey all... bought a 2006 Accord LX SE yesterday.. Royal blue / Grey... leased it with $1750 down, $279 / mo, 58% res.

Did you BUY IT or did you LEASE IT ..?? if you leased it and need to return it in a few years i would not spend a cent on the car ,,if you have to return it they want everything back stock as it was ..
if you bought it,, than hell ,do all you want