General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Fuel to Engine - 91 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Question No Fuel to Engine - 91 Accord

This is for the 91 White Accord

Symptom: Will not start due to lack of Gas. Cranks just great. Fuse has been checked. Car starts if you spray "Engine starting fluid" directly into Air intake area. Check engine light does turn on for a few seconds and then go out when you try and start the car.

Before we towed it home once I tapped a few of the fuses in the main relay area (I thought I was checking the main relay but I wasn't tapping that) the car started. However, I could not get it to start a second time after that.

When I changed the fuel filter a month ago I was very surprised at the lack of fuel pressure, no gas spurted it only dribbled out. Don't know if this was a symptom of the main problem now or not.

Recent replacements:
  1. Fuel Pump, and rear Fuel Filter
  2. Spark Plugs and Cables
  3. Distributor, Cap, Rotor, ignition coil
  4. Fuel Filter (front)
  5. Fuel Main Relay

Old 06-29-2012, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Please post questions like this in the General Tech area.....Thanks

Old 06-29-2012, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Check that the electrical connector for the fuel pump and the fuel pump ground connection are on tight. If they are okay, you might want to have the fuel pressure tested. If fuel pressure is okay, there other things to check, such as fuel injectors, etc.

Part 1 -Fuel Injector Test (Honda 2.2L, 2.3L).

Old 06-30-2012, 06:17 AM
Default Electrical problem to the Fuel Pump.

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Check that the electrical connector for the fuel pump and the fuel pump ground connection are on tight. If they are okay, you might want to have the fuel pressure tested. If fuel pressure is okay, there other things to check, such as fuel injectors, etc.

Part 1 -Fuel Injector Test (Honda 2.2L, 2.3L).
OK, No power to the fuel pump. Fuel pump works on the bench.
We know the problem is electrical, just don't know where to look next. We checked the ignition, good. replaced the Fuel Pump Relay. Tested every single fuse in the car, under the dash and under the hood.
When we replaced the fuel pump relay, different clicks were heard under the dash, so we believe that the Fuel Pump Relay is working. Thing to try tonight is how to test the Fuel Pump Relay. We will probably put it in the Black Honda tonight.

Serious thought is being given to just taking it to the shop, since we have tested and retested everything we can find on this problem.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Have you checked the electrical connector and the ground wire for the fuel pump? It should be accessible from the trunk area.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:54 PM

Just an update.
We sent it to a mechanic, $621.00 and two weeks later (He never had any of my vehicles longer than 3 days in the past. They said it was a bad Fuel Pump Relay. I don't believe him, we swapped it out before and it did not fix the problem. And we cannot return electrical parts. I am going to check out how to test the FPR. I know you have to connect positive and negative to two posts, and read voltage on two different posts. When we drove it home, it stalled twice. The mechanic said drive it hard and see if it fixes itself. bumped up the idle screw, and said keep an eye on it.
I feel vindicated in that it was not a simple answer since he had it for almost 14 days.