General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

No genuine Honda Trany ATF been added!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 10:34 PM
Default No genuine Honda Trany ATF been added!!!

Hi, everyone,

I eventually changed the radiator, and of course the ATF as well cause the trany line is connected to the radiator. Due to the limited space in the radiator area, the trans. line was not totally clamped (I guess) to the radiator port. The trans. line split when I was driving on the highway, and the new genuine Honda ATF poured out onto the road. Hard tofix upon the side of the highway, I had to have my baby towed to the garage where they added MERC/DEX with LUBEGARD TRANY ADTIV to my trans (a little less viscous than Honda ATF).

Should I drain them out and fill with genuine Honda ATF or they are fine with my accord baby, any comments are appreciated!!!

Old 06-17-2007, 10:41 PM
Default RE: No genuine Honda Trany ATF been added!!!

I changed my 2000accord with honda ATF....but at my work we change honda and most of the import with non-honda ATF,and its safe ....

Old 06-17-2007, 11:35 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Only use Honda Genuine ATF fluid. A tranny is super expensive, may as well pay a little more than for a $2k tranny right? In your manual it will tell you only to use Dextron if you absolutely cannot get Honda ATF right away. Dump the junk, and put some Honda fluid in there man.

but at my work we change honda and most of the import with non-honda ATF,and its safe ....
What?!?!?! No offense, but I would be seriously ticked if that was my car!

Old 06-18-2007, 12:19 PM

Is Honda ATF only available through a Honda dealer? No online stores or shops that would stock this fluid?

Old 06-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

There's on-line dealers like hondaautomotiveparts.com or manhonda.com

Old 06-20-2007, 08:19 PM

+1 with 19Accord97
I'd rather spend a few extra bucks than buying the new tranny...I've seen honda cars had tranny problems with non-honda ATF and I'd rather be safe than spending money

Old 06-20-2007, 08:44 PM

ORIGINAL: 19Accord97

Only use Honda Genuine ATF fluid. A tranny is super expensive, may as well pay a little more than for a $2k tranny right? In your manual it will tell you only to use Dextron if you absolutely cannot get Honda ATF right away. Dump the junk, and put some Honda fluid in there man.

but at my work we change honda and most of the import with non-honda ATF,and its safe ....
What?!?!?! No offense, but I would be seriously ticked if that was my car!
see I work at JIFFY LUBE INT. ,and we use SHELL fluid ,so I know its better to use HONDA ATF,but don`t you think JLI,OR SHEEL didn`t think about that,I`m not saying you are wrong,and trust me I use HONDA ATF on my honda....but think about it?!?!?

Old 06-21-2007, 04:48 PM

I use AMSOIL ATF in my 92. it used to hunt between 4th gear and overdrive even with Z-1 ATF. It stopped when I put the AMSOIl in.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:27 PM

Appreciate your input, Guys!

Here is another related issue: if I do have to dump the non Honda ATF, there is always some residual that I can not totally leak out from the tranny and it will mix with the Honda ATF. Do I have to flush the tranny then put the Honda's in or just live with it?

Thanks a lot!

Old 06-23-2007, 06:45 PM

the miniscule amount thats left will just mix with what you put in there, not enough to be concerned about.

Quick Reply: No genuine Honda Trany ATF been added!!!