General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

No Instrument Cluster Lights

Old 02-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Default No Instrument Cluster Lights

I apologize if this is posted elsewhere-tried to find definitive answer and couldn't...any links are greatly appreciated

I was attempting to replace a number of burned out bulbs in the dash of my Accord. I also needed to recode the radio and figured as long as I had everything apart, I'd get the serial number and take care of that as well.

Found my burned out Climate Control bulbs, bought replacements at the dealer who also gave me the radio code, and all was well.

I then attempted to replace the bulbs in the intrument cluster that houses the temp/fuel guage. Found my burned bulb, replaced it, but now-no instrument lights whatsoever. All other dash lights work fine, dimmer works fine, gear indicator (P-R-N-D4-D3-2) works, and light for odometer works, but no speedo, tach, or fuel/temp lights. I checked my Hayes manual and all tail lights/reverse lights work, and no blown fuses.

I started Googling the problem and discovered the "blown driver's side multiplexer", however it seemed this was related to aftermarket radio installs (I still have the stock Honda unit). I've checked a couple of parts suppliers online and the cheapest I've seen a new multiplexer is ~$200. Think it's worth it to pay the $65 diagnostics at the dealer to confirm the problem, or is it for sure the multiplexer? Also, how did I blow the multiplexer (so I don't do it again lol)?

Thanks a bunch for any suggestions!

Owen

Old 02-05-2011, 07:15 PM

I had a similar problem on my 94. It was the dimmer. Replaced with one from salvage- no problems