General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

No shift, no reverse 92 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 04:34 PM
Default No shift, no reverse 92 Accord

Never ending transmission problem.
ECU codes the same 7, 12, 15
TCU codes same plus 2: 1, 2, 7, 8, 14, 15. Only have 1st and 2nd if shifting manually.
I doubt I'll get assistance on a holiday weekend but I need help a before Tuesday.

"Code 14 is the FAS wire. This is the communication wire between the ECU and TCU. Check the wiring harness between the ECU and TCU is undamaged."
Is this an accurate description of the code 14?!?

"14-Linear (line pressure control) solenoid open or shorted. Which would probably have to do with the bad shift/lock solenoids or it's a bad tcu."

Well, for now, I started off putting some dielectric grease into electrical connections (all solenoids, TPS, EGR, the two on the right side of the transmission, VSS when I can get to it, and plan on putting it into the ECU & TCU connectors) once I've done that, I'm going to reset codes and see what happens.

I NEED MY CAR TO RUN AND SHIFT PROPERLY, otherwise, I might as well move to the woods and live off the land.

with the reverse, there is no grinding at all, just throwing it out here to see if it still may be related to the TCU.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

You have a lot of codes for the ECU and TCU. You also mentioned there are never ending problems. What is the history on this vehicle? Did the shifting problem just start happening suddenly?

I think it would be a good idea to clear the codes by pulling the 7.5 amp backup/radio fuse in the engine bay fuse box for a minute. Restart the vehicle. Try to drive. Then recheck the codes.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:04 PM

Last year, about the same time, I replaced the TCU with a used one, replaced shift solenoids as well with used ones, I've had shifting problems off and on for 4 years now, always been electrical, was fixed for a while with a TCU/solenoids every time but never had reverse go out, I try my best to keep the fluid changed.

I tried putting dielectric grease in connectors, resetting codes and driving it again, no change, still no shift (except manually into 2nd) and no reverse. I haven't looked inside at the circuit board of the TCU to check for physical damage.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

The TCU code 14 points towards a bad TCU or maybe a bad ECU.

In the shop manual for the 93 accord says if the check engine light is on, correct those problems first. Google 62SN700.pdf for a copy that will help troubleshoot.

ECU code 7 is for the throttle position sensor. Code 12 is for the EGR system. Code 15 is for the ignition output. You really should do some electrical testing before replacing a TPS, EGR valve, or the ignition control module.

There is also an important ground that connects near the upper radiator hose that you may want to disconnect, clean the eyelet and bolt with some sand paper, then reattach. I attached a picture of the location.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
62SN700.pdf (46.5 KB, 162 views)
Old 09-06-2015, 10:29 PM

Thank you for the information, I'll try those suggestions.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:21 PM

So I changed the fluid, no improvement, I opened the computer and see physical damage on the board, picture below:

Attached Thumbnails No shift, no reverse 92 Accord-ttugcxf.jpg  

Last edited by Honda_Lady; 09-07-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:35 PM

The computer didn't work this time, we are going to end up homeless again, we don't have the money to fix all these codes/replace the transmission, thank you for trying to help.

We are in dire straits and are in desperate need of help, the transmission just went out on the car. Previous fixes aren't working this time.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

I think the transmission computer is likely causing most of your problems.

In your picture of the TCU board, is the black a burned board, or is this a gel/tar substance leaking from the capacitor (C28) that looks like a small battery? Can you clean it off with a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol?

Old 09-08-2015, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Another thought. Try installing the old TCU (If you have it). See if the transmission will work. Not sure what problems you had with the original TCU.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:18 PM

It appears to be burned, not just gel on it.

I don't have the older computer that was in there before the current one and the one I just got from the junk yard

Quick Reply: No shift, no reverse 92 Accord