General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

No start after tranny swap-99 V6

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 09:46 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default No start after tranny swap-99 V6

Hello, I can't get a '99 Accord V6 to start after a rebuild transmission install. New battery, sounds normal as it cranks, but won't start. Suspicious is: key won't always come out when turned off, and gear indicator lights are funny (sometimes P and D1 are both lit on dash, for example.) I have followed Honda shop manual's instructions for gear switch install/adjustment. I have uncoupled the shift cable (per the instructions in Hayne's for "cable replacement/adjustment") and with shifter in "R" recoupled the cable at the tranny. I don't have prior experience with doing this, so I am just following instructions. I could be way off target, but I feel like the engine isn't sure that it should start because it's "not really in Park". Also, cranks as normal in "N", but won't start either, obviously. Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:44 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by 99 qball
Hello, I can't get a '99 Accord V6 to start after a rebuild transmission install. New battery, sounds normal as it cranks, but won't start. Suspicious is: key won't always come out when turned off, and gear indicator lights are funny (sometimes P and D1 are both lit on dash, for example.) I have followed Honda shop manual's instructions for gear switch install/adjustment. I have uncoupled the shift cable (per the instructions in Hayne's for "cable replacement/adjustment") and with shifter in "R" recoupled the cable at the tranny. I don't have prior experience with doing this, so I am just following instructions. I could be way off target, but I feel like the engine isn't sure that it should start because it's "not really in Park". Also, cranks as normal in "N", but won't start either, obviously. Thanks for any suggestions.
Check your G101 wire connection on the intake manifold. I've found on most Hondas this ground connection is very important. Also, have a look in the FSM link provided. http://www.gvrdeu.org/Honda%20FSM/Ac...0SM%20Supp.pdf
I hope this helps.

Old 01-02-2019, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Trans switch enables the starter but has no impact on fuiel delivery or ignition circuit.

You need to find out whether fuel or spark is missing.

good luck

Old 01-03-2019, 06:37 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
Check your G101 wire connection on the intake manifold. I've found on most Hondas this ground connection is very important. Also, have a look in the FSM link provided. http://www.gvrdeu.org/Honda%20FSM/Ac...0SM%20Supp.pdf
I hope this helps.
Thank you, I will check that wire. And thanks for the link: I do not have this manual supplement. Can you tell me what section you wanted me to refer to? The pdf is the entire supplement.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:42 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thank you. I was thinking the same. So I'll treat it like my old VWs and check for air, gas and fire.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:37 PM

Thank you, I will check that wire. And thanks for the link: I do not have this manual supplement. Can you tell me what section you wanted me to refer to? The pdf is the entire supplement.
You can in engine/fuel first. I only say that, as it'll walk you thru a troubleshooting section too.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok, thanks again. Thanks for the link-it's very thorough.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:31 PM

Ok, thanks again. Thanks for the link-it's very thorough.
Yeah, it's thorough alright. I've got the 4 cylinder version of it at home, and it's a 2 book manual with the same amount of pages. When I was first given that link, I thought it would cover just the V6 and it's AT. But in reality it covers the entire V6 car. All of it.
No problem on giving you (or anyone else) that wants that link. There's not many of us 6th gen owners still out there.

Last edited by The Toecutter; 01-04-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:21 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Well, I'm thinking of putting a tranny in the '99 4-cyl I have, also. They both went bad in the same week!
Thanks again for your help. I guess I'm feeling foolish, but: looking at a diagram of the distributor, I realized "I don't think I connected a plug back there". Wouldn't you know it? Hanging there unplugged. Started right up.
This car sat for a year with it's bad tranny. I would start it periodically and it was reliable and sounded fine, until very recently. So, before starting the trans swap, and unplugging anything, it suddenly was "hunting": revving, from 1-2,000 rpm, whether in P or N. So that's what I'm trying to resolve now. All I recall doing before parking it with the slipping trans was I removed the intake manifold to clean it for an egr/pcv code(?). Maybe I needed to replace a gasket when I replaced the throttle body, which I did not do. Manual says to adjust the cruise control and throttle cables, which always makes me uncomfortable. What do you think about the revving? It's consistent, and rhythmic, just as if you were revving with the gas pedal.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:22 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for your help. as I told Toecutter, I missed a plug (to the distributor). Plugged it in, started right up.

Quick Reply: No start after tranny swap-99 V6