No start after tranny swap-99 V6 - Page 2 - Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

No start after tranny swap-99 V6

Old 01-08-2019, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by 99 qball View Post
Well, I'm thinking of putting a tranny in the '99 4-cyl I have, also. They both went bad in the same week!
Thanks again for your help. I guess I'm feeling foolish, but: looking at a diagram of the distributor, I realized "I don't think I connected a plug back there". Wouldn't you know it? Hanging there unplugged. Started right up.
This car sat for a year with it's bad tranny. I would start it periodically and it was reliable and sounded fine, until very recently. So, before starting the trans swap, and unplugging anything, it suddenly was "hunting": revving, from 1-2,000 rpm, whether in P or N. So that's what I'm trying to resolve now. All I recall doing before parking it with the slipping trans was I removed the intake manifold to clean it for an egr/pcv code(?). Maybe I needed to replace a gasket when I replaced the throttle body, which I did not do. Manual says to adjust the cruise control and throttle cables, which always makes me uncomfortable. What do you think about the revving? It's consistent, and rhythmic, just as if you were revving with the gas pedal.
On my wife's 00 Accord, we had that happen with the AC off. Turn the AC on, and it would stabilize. So, I'd try burping the cooling system, and see IF you have any codes, before doing anything. If it's an IAC valve code, you could try doing a "re-learn", but if that doesn't fix it, then I'd move onto an IAC valve replacement.
As for the plug, glad you found it, and plugging it in fixed it. I like simple fixes.
As for doing the 99 4 cylinder trans, it should be a little easier, due to having more room. Keep in mind everything will be opposite of your V6 car. For it, you'll need to find a 98-99 trans though, due to the 00-02 getting updated electronics inside.