General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

No Tech

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 01:26 PM
Default No Tech

So i installed my new header the other day with no problems but i had to extend my o2 sensor wire to down under the car (the new plug was in the bottom on the down pipe and flex pipe), i did this with no problems but one wire wasnt secure properly. While driving the wire touched the header and melted, i believe it shorted out. My check engine light came back on and my speedo began to bounce around or play dead. Very confused by why the speedo was effected but today i reran all the wiring(making sure to secure it properly and check all connections) the light came back on and the car will not engage v-tec. I was thinking it might be a fuse that blew but i dont know which fuse it could be. Anyone have any ideas on this please help!!!! Thanks in advance!!!
Just to add this in when i first check the code it was for bank 1 sensor 2 and then after doing the wiring it changed to bank 1 sensor 1.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Since the CEL is on, get the error codes. There's 4 or 5 different codes for "bank-1 sensor-2".

How do you know the VTEC doesn't engage? I think (not sure) a problem with the VSS will prevent VTEC, but that's a "feature" related to silly engine-revving in neutral. (I think VTEC won't engage if the car's not really moving)

Old 10-24-2013, 03:05 PM

Oh so if the speedo isnt getting the right readings the computer will think the car isnt really moving hence it wont engage tech? I would think it was based on rpm since it engages at a certain rpm like 4800 or 5000 or which ever it is. I will get the code and see if i can get something about that. Thanks!!!

Old 10-24-2013, 04:14 PM

update i got the problem fixed it was my ecu/cruise control fuse. when the wire melted it must have grounded and shorted and it blew the fuse hence no tech and the wonky speedo. The 02 sensor cel went away and the car runs like a dream with the new header.