General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

03-07 sunroof vs non sunroof body, any differences?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 11:29 PM
jam
Newest Of Newbies
Default 03-07 sunroof vs non sunroof body, any differences?

Hi guys,
Any ideas if the roof structure is any different on a sunroof car vs non sunroof car in the 03-07 generation? I am wondering if you can cut the hole and then transfer all parts over from one vehicle to another?

thanks.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Fast answer, no. There is much more to the installation of a power moonroof than simply cutting a hole in the roof; things like electricals, drains, head liner space...

Old 10-23-2013, 08:32 AM
jam
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by shipo
Fast answer, no. There is much more to the installation of a power moonroof than simply cutting a hole in the roof; things like electricals, drains, head liner space...
I am aware of that, but electrical, headliner etc is a non-issue as i would have a donor car with the required parts. I know it would be a good bit of work but my only concern is are the two cars otherwise the same (roof structure), so that if one decided to go to that effort, it is just a matter of swapping the related parts over. If the roof on a hardtop and sunroof car are designed differently, then it is a complete no-go as a roof graft is obviouly out of the question.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jam
I am aware of that, but electrical, headliner etc is a non-issue as i would have a donor car with the required parts. I know it would be a good bit of work but my only concern is are the two cars otherwise the same (roof structure), so that if one decided to go to that effort, it is just a matter of swapping the related parts over. If the roof on a hardtop and sunroof car are designed differently, then it is a complete no-go as a roof graft is obviouly out of the question.
Trust me, the difference in the sheet metal and the plumbing of the drains is not a trivial matter. Unless you plan on cutting the top of the donor car off at the "A", "B", and "C" pillars and welding in onto your car, this project is a non-starter.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:00 PM
jam
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by shipo
Trust me, the difference in the sheet metal and the plumbing of the drains is not a trivial matter. Unless you plan on cutting the top of the donor car off at the "A", "B", and "C" pillars and welding in onto your car, this project is a non-starter.
No, i don't plan on cutting the roof of the donor car and doing bodywork, that is why i am posing the question. I understand and agree with what you are saying re drains etc not a trivial matter, but that is what i am trying to figure out. Do you know they are different for sure from experience or just assuming that they would be? I do know that with some other cars they can be the same. For example, the roof structure on a 4th gen F-body (camaro/firebird) is the same for hardtop and T-top. so adding T-tops is fairly straight forward.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know the answer. You may want to remove the headliner on your car and try to find a wrecked donor and take a look under the headliner too.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Looking at the body repair manual, the dimensions of various openings (e.g., windshield, doors, rear glass, etc.) are the same, for respective coupes and sedans. This would seem to indicate the roof outer dimensions are the same if comparing a coupe to a coupe or a sedan to a sedan.

Then looking at the service manual, it would indicate the roof for Accords that came with a moonroof has mounting holes on the roof panel to bolt the moonroof frame on. So, if you were to remove the headliner for an Accord without moonroof, you'll probably find it does not have the necessary mounting holes to bolt on the moonroof frame.

Accords with moonroof has less headroom due to the moonroof, moonroof frame, etc.

Last edited by redbull-1; 10-25-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:11 PM

There is a lip on the edge of the moonroof opening. Just cutting a hole will leave the edges very flimsy with no lip for rigidity. You would have to add/weld something to strengthen the edge of the opening. I think cutting out the roof at the pillars would be easier. In other words, not doable IMO. You would have to go with some aftermarket sunroof if anything.