General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car is Picky About... Everything?? (93 Accord)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 04:52 PM
Exclamation Car is Picky About... Everything?? (93 Accord)

I got in an accident with this car awhile back, and it had sat for a few months while I legally worked things out.

Before the accident I had replaced the distributor since that was giving me issues when I bought the car. I did a basic tune up then as well, new plugs, wires, etc. While I did the tune up I discovered a mouse nest in the air filter, so there was definitely a little family in there at some point though for how long I'm not sure. Before I discovered that nest though, my blower motor starting going all wacky. It sometimes won't kick on, so I took the cover off of it and I kick it to get it to turn on when I need it. It also doesn't regulate temperature, no A/C or heat, which had always worked fine before. The locking mechanisms on all the doors are also wacky, sometimes when I take out the key it locks me in and I have to fight to get out. I don't lock it anymore because sometimes I can't get back in it if I do. My speakers are screwy too, all are functional, since they occasionally flick on in the middle of driving, but usually the only one that works right is the driver's side door.

After the accident, when I was able to return my car in my possession again, I had replaced the fuel pump and filter and it did fine, right up until the last couple weeks. Sometimes, it'll fire right up no problem. Other times it may take a few tries. And even more other times, I may have to mess around with it for up to any hour before it will fire up. Today I actually had to give it a jump, which was the first time I've ever had to jump it, and the battery is fairly new still and the terminals are solid. A friend suggested it may be the relay switch, and since it is in such an inconvenient spot to try punching the top of the dash where it sits. Yes, that works surprisingly, but like I said, only sometimes. I haven't driven it out of town for awhile now since the starting thing has lately been very unreliable, and this starting thing is actually very recent.

I'm going to replace/solder the relay switch to see if that helps at all... Maybe those mice ate away at some wires? Or could it simply just be a new wiring harness that will fix the issues? Or even something else? I'm waiting for my personal "rescue team" to come visit and take a look and fix it since when it comes to wiring I'm pretty much clueless.

I'm also thinking it could be the timing, but again, I'm clueless about that as well.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Can you describe what part of the car was damaged when you got into the accident?

The common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum has a link to checking engine codes. Post any engine codes on here

When the car will not start, does the starter spin the engine at the normal rate? Or does nothing happen when you turn the key? Or will the engine not run on its own (this is when you release the key when successfully starting the car).

Old 09-15-2013, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Can you describe what part of the car was damaged when you got into the accident?

The common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum has a link to checking engine codes. Post any engine codes on here

When the car will not start, does the starter spin the engine at the normal rate? Or does nothing happen when you turn the key? Or will the engine not run on its own (this is when you release the key when successfully starting the car).
I don't have a code reader that will work for my car, I have to wait until the weekend to get codes unfortunately.

The starter does spin, the car responds well, it wants to go, but something isn't allowing it to go. It almost feels like the engine isn't getting any gas (yes there is gas in the tank). Once it's on it on it never dies, not even at long stops, until I switch it off.

It just seems like something is preventing it from the initial starting process.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:15 PM

Whoops, also, when I was I hit I was parked and an 18 wheeler T-boned the front pass side of the door, and almost flipped my car, my driver's side mirror was touching the ground. The damage from that accident was all on the front wheels mostly, especially the driver's side wheel, and of course that door.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Your car has a Blue Service Check Connector located below the passenger side dash, at the kick panel. You would use a piece of wire or small paper clip to jump the connector to retrieve any trouble codes stored.

Instructions are listed in links at the "Common DIY and Other Info. Thread" sticky, PAhonda referred to.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...l-codes-35962/

Attached Thumbnails Car is Picky About... Everything?? (93 Accord)-service-check-connector.jpg  

Last edited by redbull-1; 09-15-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Your car has a Blue Service Check Connector located below the passenger side dash, at the kick panel. You would use a piece of wire or small paper clip to jump the connector to retrieve any trouble codes stored.

Instructions are listed in links at the "Common DIY and Other Info. Thread" stick, PAhonda referred to.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...l-codes-35962/
Oh **** that's handy, I'll check that out for sure and post the results

Old 09-15-2013, 06:12 PM

Alright so I just checked the codes, I only got one to flash and I got code 52. I'm going to run out and check one more time to see if anything else comes up

Old 09-15-2013, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Which indicator lamp did the code(s) come from?

Old 09-15-2013, 06:32 PM

My bad, good thing I checked it again. Code 41, Primary oxygen sensor heater.

Details on this: I put in a set of aftermarket/custom headers waaaay back, like almost a year ago. As soon as I did this the check engine light came on and stays on as long as the car is on of course, and has never given me problems before.

Unless something may have changed? But I kind of doubt it..

Old 09-15-2013, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Which indicator lamp did the code(s) come from?
CEL, I believe. The check engine light, not D4 light.

Last edited by militiamaiden; 09-15-2013 at 06:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Car is Picky About... Everything?? (93 Accord)