General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Default Noise

Hi, I recently replaced (5 weeks ago) my timing belt and water pump on 95 Accord. Ever since replacement I have been getting a ticking/clicking noise from what sounds like the driver's side of engine. The noise only occurs when the car is accelerating and it begins at 1250 rpms. Since I can only get the noise to occur when accelerating, it has made diagnosis rather difficult. I am wondering if the noise could be an issue with the timing belt tensioner or even the timing belt itself??? It seems like if it were an issue with the tensioner or belt it would always make the noise, even when revving the engine while parked. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated!

Dan

Old 12-05-2011, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Was the tensioner removed to do the TB? If yes, it's possible to install tensioner incorrectly (not engage pivot hole on tensioner on stud on oil pump cover). If you do this, the TB and tensioner will make a whirling, fluttering noise.

I moved your post to get better response. Best to start your own thread.

good luck

Old 12-06-2011, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Was the tensioner removed to do the TB? If yes, it's possible to install tensioner incorrectly (not engage pivot hole on tensioner on stud on oil pump cover). If you do this, the TB and tensioner will make a whirling, fluttering noise.

I moved your post to get better response. Best to start your own thread.

good luck
Thanks!

Yes the tensioner was removed. I do not recall engaging the pivot hole with the stud on oil pump cover... which could very well be the reason for the noise. Is this something serious that needs to be done right away or can I wait a while? The car seems to be running fine.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I have no idea how long it might run w/o pivot engaged. I did this on my 94EX and realized something was wrong and removed the TB again to fix. I might have driven car a week w/ pivot disengaged.

See DIY forum post on this issue also.

good luck