General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Accord54
Unregistered
Default Noisy gearbox

This is my first post and I'm not quite sure if I'm in the place to seek help. Any advice/direction would be most welcome.

I have A 54 Accord SE, Manual, (Petrol).
I've been backwards and forwards to the dealership to try and get sorted a very irritating noise that is coming from the gearbox. Sounds like a tap that has been left very slightly open. At first it was suspected that I had a leak between the exhaust and the manifold but that provednot to be the case.
The gear box has been off twice, the second time some metal bearings were replaced with nylon. Still the noise persists.
Finaly last week Honda sent out 2 Engineers from Slough to drive my car, and another Accord,same Model and age. In fact the other one was 05.
I was told that the05model had the same defect and was invited to drive it myself. Sure enough,it was exactly the same.
I am now told that this is a characteristic that develops after the car is about 1/2 years old and I have to "live with it."
Had a Prelude before this, beginning to wish I'd kept it.

Question 1: Has anyone experienced this defect and more important did you manage to sort it?
Qusetion 2: Is there anywhere I can go after customer services?

Cheers

Ray Ram

Old 01-28-2008, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Noisy gearbox

I didn't know Honda was even making Accords in 54. Anyway, my 2003 doesn't do that.

Honda's corporate structure is different here in USA, so you may have to look through your owner's manuals to see where to go next to escalate the problem. Over here, there's a nationwide phone number for customer service.

Maybe www.honda.com can tell you where to call? (After you say what country you're in)

Old 01-29-2008, 06:07 PM

when you say gearbox..are you talking about the steering gearbox or the transmission gearbox?

how are you sure the noise is from the 'gearbox'?

finally, what year is it?

Old 01-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Well, Slough is in England. That fits with the term'petrol', and then the gearbox would be the transmission. That would also make it a UKDM Accord,whichis theUSDMAcura TSX.

I bet it's 2004 since they're trying to compare it against an '05 car.

I don't quite understand what metal 'bearings' could be replaced with nylon, but maybe you (Hondatech) know of any service bulletins that say anything similar?

Old 01-30-2008, 06:37 PM

i guess is talking about the syncro. honda updated them with a carbon lining. i'm glad i rarely have to rebuild manual trannys! elements are the worst...those ppl drive them to the ground. "hi, my 3rd gear is grinding and making noise...it's under warranty..." jerks.. hehe

honda doesn't use nylon bushings, only steel ball bearings. care to clarify Accord54?