General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

An odd miss or cut out??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Question An odd miss or cut out??

Hi all, we have a 92 Innova (an odd ball accord variant) that runs a 2 litre F20A SOHC injected motor completely stock standard on an auto box with approx 210000Kms on the clock (approx 137000Miles). Recently the ole girl has developed a miss that only seems to occur at constant highway speeds between 90 to 110Kmh.

If you accelrate or deaccelerate the problem goes away. It only happens when you are at a constant fixed throttle speed. It almost feels like the car is cutting out slightly or dropping a cylinder ever so briefly. The miss is very slight but enough for anyone to notice the slight jerkyness of the ride. If you turn on the AC to increase the load on the motor the issue really stands out.

When getting around town up to 90Kmh no issues, at idle, free rev it, or under load up a hill, all good, no miss/cut out. At idle the car purrs like a cat smoothly.

About four months ago I had to replace the distributor-(dizzy) (with a second hand unit) as it died completely. The last tune up about six months ago the car got new plugs, leads, rotor, dizzy cap and air filter.

I know these cars suffered from ignitor issues back in the day with dodgy OKI ignitor units that had to be replaced under warranty. I think these are internal to the dizzy along with the coil??? am I right?

I have just put another dizzy in from another car that was known to be running well just to see if our dizzy was the cause of the problem, but nope the issue still exists. There is no engine light on the dash to indicate an issue. I've pulled the plugs out and checked their colour etc and they are all even and burning well.

I could be looking in the wrong area thinking it's electrical, but could it also be a fuel management issue?? Our local honda dealer is a waste of time, if it ain't 'new' they don't want to know!

It's got me stumped as to what could be causing this problem, any thoughts would be great, Cheers, Andy

Last edited by ruaphuNZ; 02-12-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

I would clean the EGR ports. Google T2T013.pdf

The first listing shows the procedure for 91-93 US accords. The UK accords should have a similar setup.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:13 AM
Thumbs up

Hey PAHonda, Thanks for your advice. I have found the document and printed it out. yep your right the UK modekls have em too, I can see the plugs and will have ago at sorting them out.

Another question for you them, Being that we do not have emmissions testing, can you simply disable the egr set up? if so how would you do it? I done it my diesel van years ago simply by unplugging the hose of the vacum operated valve on the manifold and then plated it over as it was causing horrendous issues.

Many thanks, Cheers Andy

Last edited by ruaphuNZ; 02-13-2011 at 06:21 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

EGR reduces combustion temperatures so during the times when it's supposed to work you might get some burning of valve seats or something like that. That kind of stuff will take time to do it's damage.