General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd shuddering at 2k-2750 rpm or so

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 03:20 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Odd shuddering at 2k-2750 rpm or so

Figured I'd throw this out there and see if I'd get a response. I'm not sure what the deal is, but my Accord (96 LX 5-speed) likes to do this odd...sort-of shuddering between the aforementioned RPM's. I'm hesitent to call it shuddering, because it's not the kind of shuddering you might feel when you launch a car and don't give it enough gas. It's more like...almost a hesitation, but not quite. Almost feels more like the car just littles to shake a bit at those rpms.

It doesn't really appear to be affecting my performance. I haven't had the chance to run a full tank of gas yet, but from my initial estimates, it isn't affecting gas mileage either. More peculiar is the fact it only seems to do it under mild acceleration. I don't normally accelerate quickly, but I haven't seemed to notice anything if I do (though I'll definitely test this out tomorrow). If I accelerate slowly, just a light touch on the gas pedal, the problem is nonexistent. It really only seems to be under the mild acceleration and it's only in that particular part of the acceleration.

It's mildy annoying, but at least it appears to not be having any major effects. Could it be related to the cars alignment perhaps? It pulls to the right quite a bit. Though I imagine if that were the case, I'd see it throughout the powerband and not just in that narrow area.

Edit: I suppose I should say that I did get a CEL the other day, though it didn't APPEAR to be related to my issue. I had NAPA check it out and it said it was P0420 or some such, related to the cat and it not running efficiently. Figured I'd throw that out there, just in case. But after the code was cleared, it hasn't cropped back up at all.

Last edited by Illuminator; 04-28-2009 at 03:23 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:57 AM

When is the last time you changed your spark plugs and wires? I would venture a guess that you have a misfire or fouled plug.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It could be an EGR fault. When EGR manifold becomes partially plugged, excess EG is routed to remaining ports. This can cause a lean stumble when attempting to accelerate at about that RPM range. It is a fairly common problem on all models from 90-97 which share the EGR manifold on the intake manifold. Fairly easy DIY to remove, clean EGR manifold, and clean ports into intake manifold, and reinstall. On OBD1 models, this fault did not set the EGR, and I doubt it will w/ OBD2.

P0420 can be caused by exhaust leak ahead of converter, failing primary O2 sensor, and failed catalytic converter function. It may or may not return. It takes some time for computer to go through the test cycle, so don't be surprised if it pops up again later.

good luck

Old 04-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Newest Of Newbies

The plugs, I think, have been replaced about 10k ago. The motor was rebuilt. Though I'm not certain that they were replaced, it seems likely; I just purchased the car.

Yay for EGR. I don't think I've had a car where there hasn't been a problem with it. Is there a guide to do this, TexasHonda? I'm capable with a wrench, I just want to know that I'm taking the right pieces off when I jump in. Also, what do you mean by "this fault did not set the EGR"?

Also, I'm inclined to believe the code was the fault of the O2 sensor. Looking at the sensor in the exhaust manifold, it looks pretty old.

Thanks

Old 04-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

See stick post "A LOT OF GOOD INFORMATIONS" under Do It Yourself section.

Post your results.

good luck

Old 05-09-2009, 01:06 PM

Illuminator,

Did you try to clean the EGR up? How did it work? I have the exact same problem and am wondering if this helped with your problem at all.

Thanks

Old 05-22-2009, 09:39 PM
BrknSttchs
Unregistered

I had the same problem when I first got my '96. I replaced the spark plugs and cleaned out the fuel injectors and problem solved. I still notice a mild vibration around the 2k mark, but only during acceleration.