General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odometer Reading

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 07:43 AM
Default Odometer Reading

Hey guys, quick question. Do the odometers on '02 Accords count up when towing the car, with all four wheels on the ground?

Old 07-15-2013, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

They should count up unless you remove the drive axles. But how are you towing the car exactly?

Ignition switch turned "ON" so the steering wheel is not locked. Say you're using a tow-rope and someone is steering the Accord. It would count up in that case.

Ignition switch is turned "OFF". Steering wheel is locked, so this would be a pretty strange way to tow a car. I suspect the odometer would count up but I'm not completely sure.

Drive axles removed. This way the differential (and vehicle-speed-sensor) isn't moving. The odometer would NOT count up. But the transmission oil would have to be drained, & you'll want to plug the openings where the axles came out. You'd also lose the preload on the wheel bearings, so that wouldn't be good. Strange way to avoid the cost of a towing dolly.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Wouldn't unplugging the VSS be an easier way rather than removing the axles?

I'm actually curious to know if it even counts with the car off.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:35 AM

Thanks for the reply JimB. I actually bought an Accord that was said to have been towed behind an RV for "quite a few" of its miles. It was one of those tow bars that bolts onto the frame in the front. I assume they didn't do any of the things that you mentioned...sounds too complicated for someone who would want to unhook it and use it right away. So maybe the seller was right and the miles did add up by pulling it. It only has 90k on it anyway so I should be set for another 100k at least! Thanks for the write up.

Any recommended maintenance items I should do when the odometer hits 100k?

Old 07-15-2013, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Timing belt is due, I would get it done ASAP if you have no proof of it being done recently.

It can be somewhat costly to have done($500-700 at most shops) but if it breaks while the engine is running there will most likely be catastrophic engine damage

Old 07-15-2013, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

If you get the timing belt done and it's a 4 cylinder, also get a balance shaft oil seal retainer installed if there isn't one there (most likely it won't have one). See this thread:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ey-bolt-48592/

Old 07-15-2013, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not a big auto-trans guru, but if this is an automatic, I'd look for information about towing with all 4 wheels on the ground. Without knowing Honda specifics, it's often bad to flat-tow an automatic without the engine running. The transmission isn't always properly lubricated.

Manual transmission in neutral with the engine shut off, will probably be OK because the gearbox gets lubricated anyway, with the oil carried around by the spinning gears. Manuals don't have pumps that are driven by the input shaft.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:08 AM

Alright, thanks for the input. The motor is the 4 cylinder model and I have a manual in it. So I shouldn't have any issues with the previous owners towing it.

I will look into getting the timing belt done soon. Are there any precursors to knowing when these timing belts go on these cars? Also what all does it take to put one in? I do most of my own mechanic work but there are some things I pay others to do....is this going to be one of them? And while we are on the timing belt topic, even if 1/4 of the total miles on the car (100k) were being towed, does that still affect the timing belt and the need to be changed ASAP still? Meaning the timing belt only has 75,000 miles on it....as an example.

As far as the balance shaft seal dealy-o....I will get that done as well. Thanks for the good advice. I'd like this little car to last me a loooong time. I put on about 150 miles a day on the ol girl!

Old 07-17-2013, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

It's 12 years old, so the timing belt is due based on time not miles. Not much advance warning, and it's an interference engine. You can inspect it all you want, but it might look just fine 2 weeks before it breaks.

If there are hairline cracks at the base of the teeth on the rubber belt, then get it done real soon.

Getting the crankshaft pulley off is a major pain. The rest of the timing belt job is tedious, but not outside of an experienced DIY person. What's the biggest wrenching-job you've done before? I think there's a good write-up in the DIY section somewhere.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
What's the biggest wrenching-job you've done before? I think there's a good write-up in the DIY section somewhere.

Sure, that makes sense. The older things in life do tend to get more fragile as time goes on. Thats a bummer that there isn't any kind of forewarning. It looks like if I were to inspect the belt that closely, I should just replace it since I am all the way in there.

I haven't worked on many foreign cars before so it'd be new to me. Most all my time and knowledge came from rebuilding a 1970 Chevy C10 from the frame up. I built everything myself, including the motor and tranny. So I have done quite a bit but still not sure if I want to tackle this project. I kinda need it done quickly since its my commuter car! Would it behoove me to have it done at a dealership or would I be safe by going the mom & pop shop?

Quick Reply: Odometer Reading