General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh no>>

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Default Oh no>>

I have a 95 Accord (I think it is an EX), 2.2 Vtech with 270K+....

I think I may have killed it. I am sure the accident I had a week ago is completely unrelated, but who knows. I had a bit of a fender-bender that resulted in a just slightly bent-up hood and cracked run/turn lights, broke all the mounts on the headlight housing but didn't break the headlight. The only light I have on my dash is the DRL light.

Anyway, a few days afterwards my car started to rev a little high. Nothing seemingly serious, but rather than revving in the 2500 range it was closer to 3000. There didn't appear to be any other major issues and I couldn't be seen by a shop right away. I did do an oil change on it, then took it on a road trip for about 4000km. I figured at the time that I had lost my Overdrive and maybe should start looking for a tranny. I had no issues on my trip other than higher revving.

Well on Sunday as I pulled out of my driveway I heard a Whir/whine (just one) and all of a sudden my car was not responding. If I have it in drive, at a stop, and try to accelerate, I find myself creeping along with no noticeable acceleration. The car shudders, and threatens to stall (though it hasn't yet). Eventually, after maybe 50-60 meters of struggling at idle speed, it seems to hookup in third gear and go.

Obviously, this makes it almost impossible to drive in the city as it takes me thirty seconds to cross an intersection. Danger.

I was certain that it was my transmission that was failing until I remembered that I was coming due for a timing belt this summer...

My biggest problem is that I can only afford one of the repairs (if its the tranny I can do it myself but need to buy the tranny and new tools). If it's the timing belt, I need to bring it to a shop. If it were both I would need a new vehicle. And it may be too late now for the belt repair anyway.

But if my timing belt has failed would the higher revving be a strong indicator that it was going to, and wouldn't the damage be significant enough that my engine problems would actually be exacerbated at higher speeds?

I really could use any advice anyone can lend. I start a new job in six days and need to be fielding a vehicle by then.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

If your timing belt had gone, there's no way that your car would "hook up in 3rd gear & go" like you said.

The higher revving - is that while driving? That won't be related to any kind of early warning about a timing belt about to fail.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
If your timing belt had gone, there's no way that your car would "hook up in 3rd gear & go" like you said.

The higher revving - is that while driving? That won't be related to any kind of early warning about a timing belt about to fail.
Thank you for your reply, Jim. Yes, it has always been my understanding that if your timing belt goes, your engine goes and that's it. So I am hoping that I can rule that out as long as there is some agreement on that.

Transmissions have always been one of the more mysterious aspects of a vehicle's drivetrain for me, as I have never ripped one down, so I don't know exactly what I can expect if mine is failing.

I assume that I have a 3 or 4-speed automatic with Overdrive (D3 on the shifter for Drive, D4 on the shifter for drive with OD), although that is just an assumption. I assume that I lost the overdrive first (about a week ago), as there was still a distinct shifting pattern, but the revs never got to the point where they shift into a highway gear (around 80kph) in order to drop below 3000.

My limited knowledge and experience leaves me to think that my car is currently operating using only the third gear. Is that a plausible scenario?

Old 05-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, 4-speed automatic & it sounds like you're stuck in 3rd. But I'm no auto-trans guru. All my cars have 3 pedals.