General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil all over sparkplugs

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 11:48 PM
darkstar05
Unregistered
Default oil all over sparkplugs

hi.

I have a 96 accord 4 cylinder, I went to change my spark plugs and there was oil all over them. What would calse oil to be in where the spakeplugs are.

Please help

Old 04-17-2005, 01:03 PM
4drwithspeed
Unregistered
Default RE: oil all over sparkplugs

hey hey i have a 90 that did that to me. it all depends on where the oil is on the plug. where is it located? on the the side where you plug in your wire or the side in the combustion chamber? either way not a good sign also take into affect your cars condition not just the "bling" but engine wear, ie mileage, and also driving habbits. it happened to me when i put in my new camshaft. i tightened the valve cover too much thus the seals were leaking. but i just bought a new gasket and that fixed my problem. i would do that anyways along with tightening your valves. The gasket is only about 18 bucks and change to a sinthetic oil. I use the Q and that helped as well. If it still does it, just check every 300 miles or so to wipe them off; no biggie. In a nutshell the car is just asking for a very good tune up. hope all is well

Old 04-27-2005, 02:21 PM
Bhersh
Unregistered

Its funny that Darkstar brought up this issue. Just Yesterday I was Changing the Plugs, wires, cap and rotor on my 93 accord SE and I had a plug that had oil on the top area. ???? So your suggesting that I replace the valve cover gasket and this should solve my prob? Also, how big of a deal is tightening the Valves? Last question/comment.......I thought that Synthetic was bad for High Mileage engines, assuming that the motor never had Synthetic in it before? Synthetic is supposed to have smaller molecules of whatever its made out of that can find there way through tired seals and bearings and therfore burn oil or leak. Thats the rumor that I heard. Also....If the motor has always used Synthetic it shouldnt matter about the mileage due to the motor becoming accustomed to it. Not sure if this info is factual or not.

~Bhersh

Old 04-27-2005, 04:19 PM
Administrator

They may have not put in the valve stem seals correctly...

WheelBrokerAng

Old 04-27-2005, 08:16 PM

it's head gasket not the valve cover gasket

the syntethic oil is a must - in any car