General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil in antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tstein91
There is no oil in the tranny or oil pan, emptied them both and nither has coolant in it,
There's no way to confirm that without sending the oil out for analysis.

I've used these folks in the past and they seem to do a pretty good job:
  • blackstone-labs-DOT-com/

Old 10-26-2012, 12:27 PM
Administrator

I'd say that the test is warranted for your problem member.
Good post Jim and Shipo..Thank You

Old 10-26-2012, 03:50 PM

Also there is so much oil in the coolant or vice versa, that my anti freeze is the consistency of oil, someone told me that the radiator could be a source of the problem but I find that hard to believe. Another question is after iv found and fixed the problem, what is a good way to flush out all the sludge that's in my engine?

Old 10-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Considering the amount of oil in the radiator, I would've thought that draining the oil would allow you to see the antifreeze but I never had that firsthand. I've used blackstone also, so I'll 2nd that suggestion.

I don't know what would clean it out. Prestone super-flush?? You could even fill with some kind of detergent but then rinse very thoroughly. You can remove the thermostat & use a garden hose to flush right through everything. Then rinse with distilled water & then add antifreeze.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A small amount of dishwashing detergent will help release the oil from metal parts. Follow by flushing to clean all water. Drain water and replace w/ antifreeze mix.

good luck

Old 10-28-2012, 01:03 PM

And is there any way that a crack in the inttake could cause the problems.that I'm having?

Last edited by tstein91; 10-28-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

No, intake manifold does not have oil passages.

good luck

Old 10-29-2012, 03:18 PM

Should have specified a little more on my last question, the answer I was looking for is that is there any way for the coolant to get into the oil from the intake, for example if the coolant running threw the intake would be able to drip down into the piston some how..is that at all possible?

Old 10-29-2012, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think so because coolant would have to get sucked into the combustion chamber then make its way down through the piston rings into the crankcase.

That doesn't sound plausible because when a leaky headgasket puts coolant into the cylinder, it shows up as steam in the exhaust. Not into the oil.

edit:
Wait, that the opposite direction, right? You got oil in your antifreeze but you don't have any antifreeze in your oil...?

When you first start a cold engine, the oil pressure comes up quickly. That can push oil through a leaky headgasket, into the water-jacket. But after you turn off a hot engine, the oil pressure drops very quickly, and the coolant pressure stays high for 1/2-hour or more as it cools down. How can it leak one way and not the opposite?

Even if the leak is located somewhere else (not the headgasket), you still have the pressure difference in opposite directions at different times.

Last edited by JimBlake; 10-29-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:02 PM

Correct I have oil in my antifreeze but no antifreeze in my oil

Quick Reply: oil in antifreeze