General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil change Indicator Flashing, Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Criss1
Jim,

I checked the dipstick and its damn low so rushed to a service center for fixing this. they refilled oil per the standards and reset the meter which means for time being the vehicle is back to road.

I asked them to check rest of codes by connecting their devices. Honda guys are crazy, They said your dash board is not showing any indicator so it does not make any sense to us for checking codes

watsoever, My Question remain open

1. Why oil pressure is falling down very often after oil change. H Accord can drive up to 4000 miles as per dealer. but this car is showing oil pressure indicator when it is nearing to 2000 miles.
A few comments:
  • The reason why your oil pressure is low is because the amount of oil in your car is too low to maintain pressure. By virtue of the fact that you thought the oil can symbol was an "Oil Change" indicator, I suspect you've routinely driven your car with dangerously low oil levels.
  • It is your resonsibility to keep the oil level up in your engine; a quickly dropping oil level typically means the engine is either consuming oil or leaking oil. Regardless, you need to check it periodically and add oil when necessary; if you do not, then engine damage can occur, and the faster the oil will be consumed.
  • While your dealer may well have indicated that 4,000 miles between oil changes is acceptable (too short in my opinion), there is no way they can say that your engine should be able to go 4,000 miles without checking the oil, and topping it off if necessary.
Long story short, it sounds like your engine is consuming oil, possibly due to prolonged operation with low oil levels.

Last edited by shipo; 06-27-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:47 PM

I'm not familiar with the 2008 controls, but generally low oil pressure does not show up till they are super low. I think it more likely the blinking light is an oil level indicator in the pan. You should be able to track down an exact description for that flashing light.
If you lost enough oil in 2k miles to create low pressure, you have more serious problem

Old 06-27-2013, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by brayner
I'm not familiar with the 2008 controls, but generally low oil pressure does not show up till they are super low. I think it more likely the blinking light is an oil level indicator in the pan. You should be able to track down an exact description for that flashing light.
If you lost enough oil in 2k miles to create low pressure, you have more serious problem
Sorry, are you saying the 2008 models have an oil level indicator? If so then that's a new one on me.

The blinking oil can light means that the oil pressure is low, and that typically means the oil level is low as well.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Shipo,

I'm a consumer who is relying on honda books, meaning once honda service center do a oil change and staple a sticker on my winshield as reminder for next service date, I make sure I take my vehicle for service before that prescribed date and I can never imagine that a engine like this will consume/evoporate/burn oils like this(out of my awareness, hearing this first time honestly)
As soon as I see that indicator flashing, I took the car to nearest dealer and changed the oil. But I'm still wondering will it be a case to many owners like this. Cars drink oil like this

If yes, Why dont companies like honda tell us a note that you have to check oil once in 2K miles or at some number.

Originally Posted by shipo
A few comments:
  • The reason why your oil pressure is low is because the amount of oil in your car is too low to maintain pressure. By virtue of the fact that you thought the oil can symbol was an "Oil Change" indicator, I suspect you've routinely driven your car with dangerously low oil levels.
  • It is your resonsibility to keep the oil level up in your engine; a quickly dropping oil level typically means the engine is either consuming oil or leaking oil. Regardless, you need to check it periodically and add oil when necessary; if you do not, then engine damage can occur, and the faster the oil will be consumed.
  • While your dealer may well have indicated that 4,000 miles between oil changes is acceptable (too short in my opinion), there is no way they can say that your engine should be able to go 4,000 miles without checking the oil, and topping it off if necessary.
Long story short, it sounds like your engine is consuming oil, possibly due to prolonged operation with low oil levels.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:53 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Brayner,

I'm inline with your comments. Yes, That indicator flashed because the oil level is super low. I checked the dipstick and the oil is almost at tips!! very bad level.

The important point I understand out of your/experts discussion is "I should not blindly rely on honda service sticker and should check oil levels once in 1K or 2K miles and top it as needed"

Now a new question, I cannot digest is - What the hell service does honda is offering then when I have to topup oil periodically between 2 company oil changes ??

Originally Posted by brayner

Old 06-27-2013, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

How much oil was added to get the level to full?

Old 06-28-2013, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

I took a quick look at the parts drawings & didn't find an oil level sensor. Only an oil pressure sensor. But some cars these days DO HAVE a level sensor, so maybe I wasn't looking in the right place...??

Old 06-28-2013, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Criss1
Shipo,

I'm a consumer who is relying on honda books, meaning once honda service center do a oil change and staple a sticker on my winshield as reminder for next service date, I make sure I take my vehicle for service before that prescribed date and I can never imagine that a engine like this will consume/evoporate/burn oils like this(out of my awareness, hearing this first time honestly)
As soon as I see that indicator flashing, I took the car to nearest dealer and changed the oil. But I'm still wondering will it be a case to many owners like this. Cars drink oil like this

If yes, Why dont companies like honda tell us a note that you have to check oil once in 2K miles or at some number.
If you are relying on "Honda books" then you should have relied on your Honda Owner's Manual. My Honda Accord Owner's Manual under the section titled "Owner Maintenance Checks" says, "Engine oil level -- Check every time you fill the fuel tank. See page 182."

Then on page 182 (the "Service Station Procedures" section) it says, "Check the engine oil level every time you fill the car with fuel. Wait a few minutes after turning the engine off before you check the oil."
  1. Remove the dipstick (orange handle).
  2. Wipe the dipstick with a clean cloth or paper towel.
  3. Insert it all the way back in its tube.
  4. Remove the dipstick again and check the level. It should be between the upper and lower marks.
  5. If it is near or below the lower mark, see Adding Oil on page 234.

Does your Owner's Manual not have similar language?

Long story short, when a dealership or other service provider puts a sticker on your car indicating when to have the next oil change performed, that in no way means the oil level should be good to go for the duration, and this applies not only to Hondas, but to every car with an engine sold by every manufacturer.

Sorry to say, but it sounds like your engine has suffered some damage due to oil starvation. Your three options are as follows:
  1. Start checking the oil on a periodic basis, filling when necessary.
  2. Have the engine repaired in the hope that oil consumption will drop to the point where you can go a full oil change interval without having to add oil (no guarantee there).
  3. Trade the car in or sell it to some poor unsuspecting consumer.
Either way, you NEED to start paying attention to your car.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I took a quick look at the parts drawings & didn't find an oil level sensor. Only an oil pressure sensor. But some cars these days DO HAVE a level sensor, so maybe I wasn't looking in the right place...??
I'm 99% certain you were looking in the correct place; nothing in my research shows any indication the 2008 Accords have an oil level sensor. BMWs of that same vintage? Yes, they do, but we're talking about a different class of car.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

The service manual and other Honda technical information for the 8th generation Accord does not show any oil level sensor, other than the oil pressure sensor. In addition, I have an 8th generation Accord.

Quick Reply: Oil change Indicator Flashing, Please Help