General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil change Indicator Flashing, Please Help

Old 06-26-2013, 02:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Oil change Indicator Flashing, Please Help

Experts/Friends,

Whenever I start driving my car after parking overnight or parked at office from morning, I hear a gar gar sound with oil change light blinking only when that sound appears and goes off after few miles run. My Car has been recently serviced at honda service center hardly its 1200 miles I drove after service.

Its 2008 Honda Accord!
Please help me understand the possible scenarios when will that light flashes!

- Criss

Old 06-27-2013, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

For USA Accords, 2008 has the oil-life monitor, correct? So it displays something like 10% oil life along with a letter/number like "B 1 2"? Tell us what it shows before you reset it.

If the shop actually did change the oil, they should have reset that indicator. It doesn't automatically "know" that the oil has been changed.

How to reset... (this should be in your owner's manual)
- when you first turn on the key (no need to actually start the engine)
- press & hold the odometer-reset button until the oil-display flashes
- release the button
- press and hold it again (maybe 20 seconds?)
- the lamp will go out and the oil-life will display 100% again.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:50 AM
Newest Of Newbies

It shows 70%

To give you more detail for your analysis, I'm noticing this after around every 2000 miles after oil change. Seems like some thing going on with oil inside.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Which light is flashing? Is it the wrench symbol, oil can symbol, or some other light?

Attached Thumbnails Oil change Indicator Flashing, Please Help-instrument-gauges.jpg  
Old 06-27-2013, 11:41 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Its Oil Can Symbol which flashes whenever I hear gar gar sound. and I notice this sound only when the car is in lower gear.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Newest Of Newbies

The Latest update is I checked oil guage opening the dome. Its very low. I understand that indicator is blinking because of low oil level. however the points I want you experts to observe is -
1. Oil level is low, Oil life is showing 70% (Which means Oil must be evaporated in some form)
2. Why oil level has drastically fallen with in 2000 miles of the service date(service has been done at authorized honda service center). I noticed this 2 times now.

Please suggest !!

Old 06-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

That is the low oil pressure indicator warning. You may want to get the car scanned for pending trouble codes, even if the Check Engine Light is not on.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Some 8th generation Accords burned oil a little faster than others. Just keep topping off periodically.

If you let it get too low for too long, you'll possibly end up with a stretched timing chain or worst; if it is a 4 cylinder. Big bucks for repair.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

That warning light is for oil pressure, not oil level. So the oil level must have been sufficiently low that the oil pump wasn't getting oil from the pan??

The oil-life calculation is NOT any kind of measurement on the actual oil. It's a calculation based on your driving habits, how many times you start the engine, how many winter starts, how many times you run up to high RPM, things like that.

The oil-life monitor IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE for checking the oil level with the dipstick.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:36 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Jim,

I checked the dipstick and its damn low so rushed to a service center for fixing this. they refilled oil per the standards and reset the meter which means for time being the vehicle is back to road.

I asked them to check rest of codes by connecting their devices. Honda guys are crazy, They said your dash board is not showing any indicator so it does not make any sense to us for checking codes

watsoever, My Question remain open

1. Why oil pressure is falling down very often after oil change. H Accord can drive up to 4000 miles as per dealer. but this car is showing oil pressure indicator when it is nearing to 2000 miles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil change Indicator Flashing, Please Help